Bercon Tile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bercon Tile?

Hi, I recently made a material using this great tool. The problem is that the tiles appear different sizes on 3 different sized plane objects, even though they all have the same same material and instanced UVW mapping. I've tried to change the plane's length and width numbers but that has no affect. Any ideas MasterBercon? Thanks!

edit: fyi, using SP3 and max9
    Last edited by voltron7; 18-03-2009, 10:37 AM.

If your objects have different scaling and you copy/"paste instanced" uvw mappings than they are scaled if i recall right. Tried selecting them all and assigning a fresh uvw map ?

Comment

still stumped

Good thought, I've tried the following and they all have no effect...
      (I originally made each plane separately and did not do any scaling.)

1. attach all planes together
      2. remove all UVW
      3. adjust plane LxW numbers
      4. selected all planes and assigned fresh UVW

All I have left to try is to make 3 different versions of the bercon map, but that is a terrible option and could take way to long to get them all matching...I',m lost now.

edit: Hmm, i guess it was because the UVW map was using channel 2...not sure what's going on, but at least they look the same now...
      thanks
      Last edited by voltron7; 18-03-2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Have you maybe set it to "From Object" instead of Explicit map channel ?

That would look like the image you showed too

Comment

hehehe, i ran itno that problem when first setting up the mat...it seems to be working fine since changing the mapping channels all to 1. I still have to practice with those more, lol.

thanks for the help instinct!

Comment

Quite an old thread, but saves starting a new one...

I think the Bercon maps are great, but I continue to have problems with the tiling sizes. I just can't work out the logic behind it. With standard Max tile maps, I usually use real world mapping coordinates for things like brick and roof tiles. With BerconTile, I have the real-world option, but also tiling size and tile width and tile height. Can somebody explain how these values relate? It could be that its a Friday, but its got me all confused.
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket
            ----------------------------------->
            http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Like you said, its a great tool but the size parameters are a bit difficult to get your head around. It's a bit difficult to explain as well but I'll have a go....

If you set your UV map size to 1000mm x 1000mm. Then set your 'tile height' and 'tile width' both to 1. Then the 'size' is the length of each tile as a % of of the UV map. So if you set 'size' to 1 then each tile would be 10mm long (1% of 1000mm). If you set 'size' to 10 then each tile would be 100mm long (10% ot 1000mm).

You can also change the size and shape of the tile by altering the 'tile height' and 'tile width'. So changing the 'tile length' to 2 in the last example would change the length of each tile to 200mm.
              Dan Brew

Comment

an example with a plane of 60x60cm with a reference tile 6x6cm

http://picasaweb.google.it/bardo28/D...29336005524690

Comment

In the real-world tile settings, through trial and error I came to 26'-8" to relate the all the parameters in the bercon tile to inches. So now if I want my bricks to be 8 inches high and 16 inches wide, it is relatively straightforward. The equivalent of 26'8 in the way my scene units are set up is 0.003 in the tiling with real-world unchecked. Not sure if/how this will translate to other units, but it may be worth a shot giving my numbers a go.

If you have to figure out the numbers on your own, the way I did it was to set up a b/w grid tile pattern with bercon maps, set the tile height and witdth paramaters to '1', applied the material to a box with known dimensions, then test render and adjust the real-world scale until the '1' is correct, whether you want it to be feet, cm, m, inch etc. I suggest increasing the size of your box to check the fidelity of your numbers at larger scales, scales that you would be using the map in.

EDIT: Wow, after reading your explanation Daniel, it seems Bercon Tile is much easier to work with in metric units.

EDIT2: After some calculation, those numbers I am using shouldn't be working. Hmmm...

EDIT3: Nevermind, I forgot that I had changed the size parameter to 0.313 in my trials as well. It makes up for the difference. I might rework my materials in light of this redundant calculation.

EDIT4: Yep, lots easier if you just treat the tile width/height as your default units, then put 100 of whatever your default units are in the real-world map size...and make sure you leave the size paramater at 1.0
                  Last edited by beestee; 26-03-2010, 06:58 AM.
                  Ben Steinert
                  pb2ae.com

Comment

Well I'm glad it made sense to someone
                    Dan Brew

Comment

Originally posted by DanielBrew View Post
                      Like you said, its a great tool but the size parameters are a bit difficult to get your head around. It's a bit difficult to explain as well but I'll have a go....

If you set your UV map size to 1000mm x 1000mm. Then set your 'tile height' and 'tile width' both to 1. Then the 'size' is the length of each tile as a % of of the UV map. So if you set 'size' to 1 then each tile would be 10mm long (1% of 1000mm). If you set 'size' to 10 then each tile would be 100mm long (10% ot 1000mm).

You can also change the size and shape of the tile by altering the 'tile height' and 'tile width'. So changing the 'tile length' to 2 in the last example would change the length of each tile to 200mm.
                      Ahhh! This is doing my head in (thanks for your patience!)
                      I want to create a brick wall using the (standard) Flemish Bond.
                      What is the best way, using BerconTile, to create a large panel of bricks, say 10mx10m in size (so that it won't tile too badly)? Assume a brick is 210mm x 75mm in size.

(maybe instead of a 10m x 10m panel, a panel of 25 (full) bricks wide and 24 courses high)
                      Last edited by tricky; 07-04-2010, 07:36 AM.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket

Comment

Hey Tricky,
                        It may act differently in your scene, but I have had really good luck using the techniques outlined on the Bercon Maps' website for brick and sometimes shingles.
                        http://www.ylilammi.com/TileDisplacement.shtml I remember there being an important step on that page, too... "different kind of variation."
                        I can check a scene much later (crazy busy...)
                        Last edited by voltron7; 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

See attached file. I think it's easier to do than explain. The textures are from the standard max install so you should have then already. Is that what you're trying to do?
                          Attached Files
                          Dan Brew

Comment

Hi Daniel - thanks for that. However, I can't open the file. We are on Max2009 - perhaps that is the problem?
                            The error is:
                            File Open Error
                            Unknown class, no stand-in: SiperID = 0xB60, ClassID =(0x5BF94F11,0x68C22D6F)

It then lists some missing dlls:
                            ProSound.dlc Class Wavemaster
                            ProSound.dlc Class ProSound
                            StorageAndFilter.bms

Any ideas? I've also tried merging with no luck.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket

Comment

Yes the file is Max 2010. I'll copy it over to 2009.
                              Dan Brew

Comment

Working...
                              X