Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host

Can anyone recommend a reliable web/ftp/email host? I have had mediocre experience with register.com, but lately, they've been down for like 3 days in a row so I'm looking to move on.
    Thanks

Where are you? UK?
    Zen Internet have been very good
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

ive been using hostmonster for quite a while now

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Dreamhost have been great for me - media temple tried to shaft me out of $33,000

Comment

Been using Xcalibre for 6 years, good value for money and a very reliable service.
          Natty
          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

I've been using Powweb.com for years. They're super cheap and easy to use and great for a small site that doesn't run any critical operations.

I also run our models website on Aplus.net. They've been fantastic so far... all around great host. I bit more costly, but worth it.
            John Pruden
            Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
            3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Thanks for the posts and tips. So many to choose from! Has anyone dealt with Bluehost?

Comment

I recently switched to mediatemple (about 6 months ago) and so far they've been great. Inexpensive, tons of storage.

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

I'm with Xcalibre as well (they're in Scotland) - had a few minor outages but being able to get someone human and intelligent on the phone is a godsend
                  I was with a subsidiary of BlueHost several years ago and wasn't impressed.. but of course things change fast

Comment

I used bluehost for about a year, no complaints. My friend (a programmer) that recommended them to me still uses them, and he seems very happy with them.
                    Ben Steinert
                    pb2ae.com

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                      Dreamhost have been great for me - media temple tried to shaft me out of $33,000
                      DreamHost is awesome. Employee owned, green etc. My storage limit is over 200GB and grows each month, way way way more than I'll ever need. The caveat is that you can't just use it for straight storage and backup.

Unlimited domains etc etc. I've never (knock on wood) had the server go down (that I noticed anyway). Lots of one-click installs; blogs etc. Large email attachments...

And the best part? Besides that John O'connell uses them, the cost is around $8US per month. when you pay for two years in advance.

www.dreamhost.com

Comment

If you don't mind answering, who did you end up picking, and how have they been working out?

I'm looking to try my hand at building a website again.
                        Ben Steinert
                        pb2ae.com

Comment

I use Godaddy for ages and don't remember ever having any downtime.
                          And they are cheap.

Comment

I ended up going with Bluehost and it has been excellent. no problems, fast, inexpensive, etc, etc.

P.S. FWFI, I would stay far clear of Register.com, they were terrible.

Comment

I actually just had somebody suggest Godaddy here at the office. I will definitely look into them some more.

I had good experience with bluehost, so they would be my "comfortable" choice. Good to hear that they are still keeping up!

Thank you!

P.S. When I was letting my account expire with bluehost I recieved probably 50 warning e-mails over the period of 3 months! They certainly seem to look out for their customers.
                              Last edited by beestee; 15-03-2010, 11:35 AM.
                              Ben Steinert
                              pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
                              X