Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dreamscape best for Ocean waves, boat wakes and foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Dreamscape best for Ocean waves, boat wakes and foam?

Hi all

I have an upcoming project with boats, ships and all things on water and was looking at plugins/software for the water, foam and wake effects with the least amount of effort/render times/complications. So far Dreamscape looks like the plugin to get. Would you agree on this or is there something else that could work?

I think realflow is overkill and would take forever to calculate and I'm not sure if it is even what I need.

Regards,
    Morne
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

it works fairly well, we had some issues with it and Vray in the past, not sure if it still holds true.
    Two heads are better than one ...
    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

anybody have some still samples or animations of dreamscape ocean with boat/ship that was rendered with vray I can look at please?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Hi, if you check out page 7 on this thread there's some dreamscape water, looks pretty good:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ht=boat+images

and also this thread:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ht=boat+images

Comment

I have tried dreamscape a few times, it can work pretty well. I have found it works for big ocean waves but is harder to get tighter detailed gentle waves, getting the scaling right seems tricky. Also depending on viewing angles it can tile quite badly. For general waves I have often found good old VRay displacement does the job.

As for wake and foam, I havent tested dreamscape thoroughly yet for this
          chris
          www.arc-media.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjacks21 View Post
            As for wake and foam, I havent tested dreamscape thoroughly yet for this
            Animated wake and foam will be very important for my upcoming project. Almost more important than the waves itself.
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

i had a good time with frantic's floodsurf, it had an excellent dither something that removed tiling very efficiently, foam and wavecrests was a breeze to set up with the provided shaders and there was no problems with vray...i think it is dead though - what a shame

Comment

floodsurf

Originally posted by kimgar View Post
                i had a good time with frantic's floodsurf, it had an excellent dither something that removed tiling very efficiently, foam and wavecrests was a breeze to set up with the provided shaders and there was no problems with vray...i think it is dead though - what a shame
                Floodsurf is still on Frantic's site although like you said it seems dated. Also it seems more expensive than dreamscape and I would also have to get Flood together with floodsurf. Anybody else have info on this?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

hmm, i'm fairly sure you won't need flood for floodsurf, unless something changed since early beta. imo the 250 extra is totally worth it, if it's still alive that is...

Comment

Originally posted by kimgar View Post
                    totally worth it, if it's still alive that is...
                    That's the part I'm owrried about. Can't start a new project with something "dead" and without support
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Ive messed around with dreamscape. I liked its foam map generator, though didn't use it in production. I was kind of turned off by the tiling of the waves though.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I use dreamscape - it works very well - I have no issues w/Vray & dreamscape combination. (Vray1.5 SP3 / 3DS MAX 2009).

Works very well for calm sea scenes. I think Realflow (www.realflow.com) is better for storm scenes - main reason for this is that you get the dynamics of the boat interacting with the sea (and visa versa) + fluid particles / mesh. But this is much more complicated software to learn/operate.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/norwiz/
                        http://www.fuglefjellet.no/

Comment

Hi DVP3D. I have a similar project coming up very soon. I just wanted to know what you chose in the end ? Did you manage to produce realistc foam and wake ?

Any further advice would be appreciated. I am looking at floodsurf and dreamscape.
                          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i wanted to buy floodsurf
                            i received a mail from frantic support saying they stopped releasing it, but that they may ship it again, depending on the customer response.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
                              Hi DVP3D. I have a similar project coming up very soon. I just wanted to know what you chose in the end ? Did you manage to produce realistc foam and wake ?

Any further advice would be appreciated. I am looking at floodsurf and dreamscape.
                              Hi Steve

I haven't done anything yet for it (its only coming in a few months), but unless something major changes soon (which I doubt) I will probably go with dreamscape. I mailed them and they said they will be bringing out a new version of it (although not soon). For my needs it seems dreamscape is perfect. haven't yet looked at the new vue 7.5 to see if it might be able to do what I want.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

Working...
                              X