RAM recomendations needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM recomendations needed

I have a 4 year old Boxx system that needs more RAM. I was told a while ago by Boxx that the RAM my computer uses is "512MB DDR2-400 ECC".

I have found RAM with that spec for as little as $5 and that just doesn't seem quite right -or maybe I'm just horribly behind the times. Is there any information missing from that spec? Can any of you make some recommendations?

Thanks!
    - Geoff

alot has changed in the last 4 years. That ram is pretty out of date, so its not surprising you can find it cheap.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Ok... well, if I'm gonna get some obsolete RAM, I want to get good stuff. Are there any I should stay away from or is it all pretty much the same? Obviously I'm not a hardware-guy.
      - Geoff

Comment

You want RAM with low latency. I was just looking into this with a new machine not sure what numbers that would be with the type of RAM you mentioned but worth doing a quick google search.

an example:

DDR2-1111 4-4-4-12.

Those last four numbers should be as low as possible.

I always get confused with whether I need buffered or unbuffered, ecc or not. That's stuff to be sure about before you buy.
        Steve Burke
        www.burkestudios.com

Comment

It's been a long time since I posted this thread, but I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

The stuff I have in my computer now is this:
          http://www.atpinc.com/p2-2a.php?sn=00000098

Just one measly megabyte's-worth.

I'm thinking of getting two of these:
          http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/prod...3R3VM2PTPE8S8F

Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks!
          - Geoff

Comment

Working...
          X