No announcement yet.

PS 'Save For Web' Color Shift Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Marc, are you going to embed your custom profile or does AdobeRGB still work well then?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
      I'm agreeing with you on all these points after testing AdobeRGB. I'd like to know if anyone out there has a better workflow/working method for image editing.

Interestingly enough, I just opened Method 2 output on a different, uncalibrated monitor/computer with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and it looked fine. WP by the way does not read color profiles.

The problem I was concerned with is that clients are going to use it to preview images regardless of what software I have to recommend. I suppose at that point there is nothing we can really do about it.

I think I'm about to install Picasa or Irfanview for quick previews - this way I won't go crazy thinking about it.
      the reason why adobeRGB works good for you is because it's very close to your wide-gamut display. but still, your spyder profile should be 100% close.

so if you use the workflow i was describing (and simmsimaging), with the embedded monitor profile, there should be _no_ color shift between the windows viewer and picasa/firefox. (unless there is a conflict with another profile attached to the monitor)

one thing is important: the windows viewer is actually color managed (at least in xp, vista), picasa is not. so the windows viewer is right.
      if you got adobe lightroom, you may want to check that one out too, because it is color managed, but does not allow override options, as photoshop, which makes it more reliable for comparsons.
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I actually read on the Adobe website that Windows Viewer isn't color managed. And even with both workflows, saving out of CS4 does not reproduce the colors properly in Windows Viewer. I'm using XP x64.

I found that the colors are consistent in every other application however except for Windows Viewer where they are always slightly off. I can email you the image if you want to take a look at it.

Comment

Emailed. I'm also attaching a screenshot of the color shift using the 'proper' AdobeRGB method. It's definitely more noticeable on my monitor - hopefully you can see it here. And no, it's not my choice of colors...

On the left is Irfanview. On the right is Windows Viewer.
          Attached Files

Comment

well, it is color managed on my system (vista64).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...and_Fax_Viewer

"It is a color-managed application which recognizes embedded ICC color profiles (V2 only) [2] in JPG and TIFF files. "

i'm not sure about xp, probably it's V1 and not color aware. but still, the image should look the same way as in firefox and picasa then.

btw. you can make firefox color aware with this setting:

http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/29/633/

page: about:config

-> gfx.color_management.enabled

but it color corrects _everything_, solid colors too, which isn't nice.
            safari on osx does it the right way, it respects embedded icc profiles, but leaves the other colors as they are.
            Marc Lorenz
            www.marclorenz.com

Comment

Ah. lol that explains it.

I won't color manage any of the browsers - I want to leave them default in order to see what the 'average' person might see - even if it's frightening... lol

Comment

*removed*http://plugins.angstraum.at/beta/icc_test.jpg*removed*

this is how it comes out on my system...

loaded your exr with ps, assign profile -> spyder monitor
                -> convert to 16bit, gamma 0,4545 -> save for web, embed profile, don't convert to srgb.

as far as i see, it looks the same way with unmanaged and managed apps on my system.

the exported jpg: *removed*http://plugins.angstraum.at/beta/brooklyn_library5.jpg*removed*
                Last edited by plastic_; 20-05-2009, 02:23 AM.
                Marc Lorenz
                www.marclorenz.com

Comment

Wow. What size monitor do you have??!?!?!

In your Windows viewer for Vista, it looks a little desaturated versus my problem of over saturation.

Hate to ask, but can you please take down the full sized image? I'm not certain if anyone would ever take it, but since I already had one person use it in their portfolio and apply for a job with me... Contemplating watermarks as much as I hate them. Thanks lol.
                  Last edited by jujubee; 20-05-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

30"

hard to say...to me it looks the same...there may be a minor shift due to recalibrating with my spyder...there is a bug with the software, it can't overwrite a profile currently attached to a device, so you have to reboot, delete the old profile, etc.
                    Marc Lorenz
                    www.marclorenz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X