Editing an animated GIF help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing an animated GIF help

So I went looking for a way to colorize an animated .gif the other day and noticed that CS4 no longer has ImageReady.

So I was stuck trying to figure out a way to overlay a color to it.

Imageready was so easy to use - simple yet perfect and now they destroyed it. Anyone have any 'simple' suggestions? I tried playing with Fireworks but my head imploded.

I feel like an idiot for writing this, but it's not something I do very often anymore...
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

pretty sure photoshop has animation capabilities now. Ive just never used em.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

lol. I tried that. I went to import the gif and it spat out an 'error' message stating that it could only import one frame from an animation.

However, it can put them out.

Comment

Did you try imageready?
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

in the adobe suite, fireworks is the way to go now. imageready was discontinued, and fireworks is way better. if you don't like fireworks, I believe gimp has good animated gif capabilities.

but really you should try to get a bit into fireworks, it is a nice program.

Comment

It's a bit tricky but possible, this links has some screenshots with the steps:
            http://www.stevennet.cc/magazine/?p=444

The "import - video frames to layers options", I think is only in the Photoshop CS4 32 bit version, not the 64. When importing in the list of file formats gif does not appear, if you type in "*.gif" then the gifs will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by rmejia View Post
              It's a bit tricky but possible, this links has some screenshots with the steps:
              http://www.stevennet.cc/magazine/?p=444

The "import - video frames to layers options", I think is only in the Photoshop CS4 32 bit version, not the 64. When importing in the list of file formats gif does not appear, if you type in "*.gif" then the gifs will show up.
              nice!

good to know. To save, use the "Save for Web & Devices..." functionality.

strange the 64 bits version doesn't support the import option.

thanks for the tip.

edit: the import doesn't support transparency... :/
              Last edited by xte; 25-05-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

yeah, unfortunately no transparency

If you have Fireworks, that works and has transparency

Comment

Thanks for the article - I came across it last night then went to go find it and it wasn't there in my menus lol.

I miss the simplicity of ImageReady. In a lot of ways it operated just like PS and it never felt like I had to learn a new program. Playing around with Fireworks - I think Adobe never completely 'cleaned' out the work from the Macromedia people. Just one more program I don't have much time to mess around with. The interface is unfamiliar - a simple layers color overlay? Where the hell did that go...

Comment

I'm sorry but I just started messing around with it again and it reaffirmed my original belief - that thing is poo.

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
                      I'm sorry but I just started messing around with it again and it reaffirmed my original belief - that thing is poo.
                      In theory Fireworks sounds cool, handling both raster and vector graphics, possibly eliminating the need for 2 different programs (photoshop & illustrator) but it feels like a "lite" version of those 2 programs. Also it does things differently, so one has to relearn how to do things the Fireworks way. Maybe a thread can be started in the Adobe forums to bring transparency and an easier .gif import to Photoshop.

Comment

Working...
                      X