Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 - can't backburn jobs from max to design render nodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 - can't backburn jobs from max to design render nodes?

Do any of you work in mixed max/design 2010 shops? I just found out last night that my Max 2010 jobs won't render on Design 2010 nodes. I'm going to just hold back my frustration at Autodesk for a moment and assume there must be a solution... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Christopher Grant
    Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
    Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

I know other people have stumbled upon the same issue; there appeared to be no resolution at the time other than to install both versions on the render slaves.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      I know other people have stumbled upon the same issue; there appeared to be no resolution at the time other than to install both versions on the render slaves.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Thanks for the info Vlado. So how does the V-Ray installer handle a system with both Max/Design installed? On our 64 bit nodes now I need to install 32/64 Max in addition to the Design I already deployed... I can handle simple plugins but the V-Ray installer needing to be run 4 times per 64 bit node means I need to find a better way to automate things... Any suggestions? Is there a network deployment writeup for V-Ray somewhere that I've missed?

Thanks,
      Christopher Grant

Comment

There is a way to run the installer automatically, yes. Please email us to vray@chaosgroup.com for more info.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Wow, this is news to me for 2010. We had been mixing them in 2009 but so far have only done regular Max in 2010 because the design users have not upgraded.

That's horrible.

So much for all of the "Max & Design are the same" verbage back when Design was announced.....
          | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

How are we supposed to install VRay on 2 instances of Max 2010? I installed Design 2010 then VRay, then Max 2010 and VRay again. The 2nd time I installed VRay it said it detected a prior version (the Design one) and uninstalled it before installing to Max 2010...

Seems to me like VRay won't work with Max & Design concurrently... Is this the case? I've emailed Autodesk and they're saying we're supposed to be installing both Max & Design on everything (ugh)... I may just migrate our Max licenses to Design 2010 unless this sorts itself out asap.

If anyone wants to weigh in - there's a thread on the Area about this as well - http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autod...work-rendering
            Christopher Grant

Comment

When the V-Ray installer puts up a message "There is an older version installed, it must be uninstalled first", click OK - however, when the initial screen of the uninstaller appears, click Cancel. The normal V-Ray installer will then proceed with the installation to the new path without removing the old one.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Working...
              X