backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup

our office backs up once a week at a cost of $100/tape. It takes 11 tapes to do a complte backup. This translates to $1,100 a week for backup. It seems like there must be a cheaper way. Is there?
    mh

I make dual daily automatic backups to 500GB mini portable USB harddisks: this is not incremental, just synchronizing. In all programs I work with I save incremental (which are also sync'd to the USB disks) and after project end the incremental backups are deleted on all disks for 90 %. Next to that I have disk arrays at home and at the office which carry all projects/data from the last 2-3 years. When the USB disks are full I keep 1 at home and 1 in a safe. It takes between 3-6 months to fill up the disks, before I have to buy new ones.
    Last edited by trick; 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh View Post
      our office backs up once a week at a cost of $100/tape. It takes 11 tapes to do a complte backup. This translates to $1,100 a week for backup. It seems like there must be a cheaper way. Is there?
      mh
      whoa, what's your capacity?
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Sounds like you are running AIT4 or LTO4

We run a 48TB system and do full backups quarterly with incremental in between. You should not need a full BU ever week. This way in your case you would be spending about 1400 a quarter as the incremental is not that much space.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
          whoa, what's your capacity?
          terabytes.
          mh

Comment

Originally posted by dcullipher View Post
            Sounds like you are running AIT4 or LTO4

We run a 48TB system and do full backups quarterly with incremental in between. You should not need a full BU ever week. This way in your case you would be spending about 1400 a quarter as the incremental is not that much space.
            quarterly is way to infrequent. We make changes to exhibits dailey, hourly, minute by minute. We are a Planning, civil eng, survey company with 3d when required.
            mh

Comment

Backups

We mirror our drives and backup to our TB backup device nightly.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
              X