Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAX Crash

Hi-

Question.... I am not one to complain, but I am just curious in how often your 3DS MAX crashes a day.

I would say on a good day my MAX crashes 3-4X a day. An example would be I was just orbiting my v-ray camera and max just closed... poof, gone! What in the world would cause this crap? I am running Windows Vista 64 with 12GB of DDR3 ram. I have a 512MB Quatro FX 3600 and an AMD 64 processor.
    Last edited by glorybound; 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

have you got rid of the viewcube thing?
    I find max very stable, some days no crashes at all for days on end, somedays if i'm doing complex modelling I can cause crashes, or huge amounts of memory usage (i.e.30gigs of mem trying to attach some AutoCAD splines) although normally max crashes whenever i'm thinking "wow i've spent a whole day working in max and it hasn't crashed once....." then boom! crash....

Also crashes a lot more when i'm nearing a deadline.. it's got that feature built in which detects your stress levels and fucks up at the least appropriate time...

Comment

Max Cube

Yep, max cube is disabled. It has been pretty stable today. Only 2 crashes.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Running 2009 with Xp64. It's not unusual to see 2-3 crashes in an hour, but for sure I'd say 2-3 per day would be a good one around here too.

b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Most of my crashes nowadays occur during merging scenes or opening a scene. Also when I change the material type on an object that is visible in the current scene.. some 5-10 crashes per day.

I remember having constant crashes with D3D and abandoning it since. It's a shame as OpenGL is much slower.. does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I also vaguely remember hearing it was Vray related.. ? I'm running Max 2008, Geforce 8800GTX FWIW.
          Ville Kiuru
          www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

1-2 crashes a day on average, sometimes i get a job done without a single crash and sometimes theres this scene that crashes if you do something as daring as selecting an object, editing a mesh or displaying a texture.

Some people claim that they never have a crash using Max, it's hard to believe, unless they use the program in a completely different way that we do...

Comment

Max

Does Maya crash as often? Has anybody gotten Backburner to work? Have you been able to get backburner to complete the second pass and assemble the slices?
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I use Bburner all the time without issues, but I don't do slices, just whole images and render elements.

I generally use Render Pass Manager all the time now, and submit through that.

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

backburner

It seems my render element (z-depth) is keeping my BB job from completing it's second pass.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If I remember correctly, BB had issues with VRay fame buffer when rendering slices, you have to render to MAX FB to get slices to work.

Comment

I don´t get many crashes, max 1 per week, even on very large projects.
                      Max2009 64-Bit newest service pack on Vista 64 Bit with nvidia 285 graphics card running direct3D mode, newest graphic-drivers.

You have to get rid of plugins and scripts!
                      Just try it for a few days and uninstall everything (except vray of course )

Another cause of crashes is overheating.
                      My old workstation started crashing simply because the fans where full of dust.
                      Install some freeware for displaying CPU and mainboard temperature levels.
                      75C while rendering is a good barrier for 24/7 usage with CoreI7.
                      Reflect, repent and reboot.
                      Order shall return.

Comment

crashes

Just a follow up. My crashes were not MAX, but the vrayscatter script. I removed all plug-ins and installed them back one at a time. After I installed v-ray scatter I started crashing again. I am in contact with support so hopefully we'll get the issue resolved.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Crash

My main crashes are from having to load textures over the network (company policy) and chamfering edges I shouldn't, sometimes opening large projects.

laters

spike

Comment

Overall I'd say an average of 1 crash a day. Some less, some project files cause noticeably more.

We're not using vrayscatter yet. We have been looking at getting that though. Sucks to hear that causes crashes.

Another thing that crashes max is that when max is processing something (temporarily stuck), and I impatiently hit a couple of key strokes or mouse buttons (like trying to pan/zoom) - max will disappear. I guess it overloads it.

Comment

vrayscatter

I have to say that I am using Vista 64 and that might be the issue with vrayscatter. They are looking into it.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X