Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special lamp

hello all

I have to model this kind of lamp. there are many of these acryl sticks in a certain shape. the problem is to give them a curveshape when looking from the side (frontview) there is also a shape in topview.

how to model it best? with hair modifier in max I have the benefit to cut the sticks with a map, but it not only cuts the sticks, it scales them, that's bad.
    besides it has no collision detection.

maybe with vrayscatter? but I haven't used it before.

or with forestpro, but I don't know how to cut the sticks?

any other ideas?

thanks for help.

best regards
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

I don't know what the plugins you report can do....but one standard solution can be to model one stick at the maximum lenght, duplicate it with a regular grid following the boundaries of the top shape.
    For the different lenght you can try to use the same method of the pin animation video (if I remember it uses a displacement map to move the pins).
    For cancel the sticks that are over the boundaries of the top shape you can use an opacity map.

I know it's not a very clean method and not precise (the displacement map drives the different lenghts of the sticks ) but this is the first think I thought.

Good job

Comment

its kind of possible in vrayscatter, but it won't map just the z scale of the sticks (you can map the overall scale). In your examples the variation in length is quite subtle, so maybe you wouldnt notice that the tubes vary in x and y scale? vrayscatter is certainly a very quick way of doing it.

see attached, 5 mins of messing about to see if it was possible!
      Attached Files
      www.peterguthrie.net
      www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
      www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

I made a similar light a few years ago.
        I used the animated pinboard method that was used in the NIN video and it worked really well. The most time consuming thing is painting the height map.
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

PG- I hope karba is paying you royalties for all your promoting of VRayScatter
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

well I would use particle flow or scatter ( I prefer PF ) to distribute the cylinders on the surface on top, select bottom vertices and use noise/wave modifier to adjust the length of the cylinders...select bottom faces and view align from bottom view...
            or maybe scale cylinders i Z in your particle view...

Comment

well, thanks a lot for the great ideas.

I now use the forestpro plugin to distribute the sticks on a curved shape surface.
              It works great!

best reagrds
              themaxxer
              Pixelschmiede GmbH
              www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

here's my quick try. I first modelled a curved/wavelike surface, then used pf to position particles on it, randomly changed z scale to add variation in length, convert particles to mesh and then aligned vertices to grid.
                I find pf gives much more control over these kind of things, and you can keep particles apart to avoid overlapping/intersecting cylinders.

edit: well, a bit too late it seems. glad you sorted it out

Comment

wow, not too late! I will try your way. It looks exactly what I need.

thanks for your work.

best regards
                  themaxxer
                  Pixelschmiede GmbH
                  www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

... Rivoli!!!!!!

Comment

damn that's nice...I wish I'd understand particle flow.

must give it another look.
                      Marc Lorenz
                      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                      www.marclorenz.com
                      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

cheers for that, but really, it's definitely less complicated than it looks. the flow it's a very basic one, just a couple of operators. but I guess it's an effective enough method, basically I just had to model the surface on which the particles are emitted. before converting everything to mesh you can even update/change it on the fly. of course it'd be nice to have an interactive way to do it from the beginning to the end, but I couldn't come up with anything that works.

Comment

Mind sharing the file rivoli. That looks interesting but my knowledge of pf is limited.

Comment

no problem, will do tomorrow morning when I get to the office.

Comment

here's the file, max 2010. hope it's useful somehow:

http://www.caribouz.com/vray/lamp_2010.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X