max2010 shaded fast, wireframe slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max2010 shaded fast, wireframe slow?

I am getting this. It's the opposite of what I'd expect. Shaded, my model moves around surprisingly smooth. Even with all the viewport render stuff turned on (i have the quadro 4600). But when I hit F3 and move back to wireframe it's Hella slow! Nearly unuseable.
    I thought it was because I was using nPower objects, so I converted them all to editable poly. No change, in fact it seemed to get even slower which is no surprise because it has to draw more lines now.

Is anyone else getting this? I miss my maxtreme drivers. Well, kind of...we haven't actually switched to 2010 yet.

I thought this was expected. I may be wrong on this, but nvidia cards in direct 3d can do shading/solids really well and are terrible in wireframe. Try changing the driver to opengl, that'd speed the wires up at expense of shaded i think.
    Also found that ATI cards are better at wireframe in opengl but nowhere near as good in shaded view.

Comment

you are 100% correct from my test. I switched to OGL and wireframe was Blazing fast. Then shaded blew chunks.

I'm not sure What exactly it's doing , but when I turn on adaptive degradation the wireframe is way faster, except on start and stop. It doesn't seem like it changes anything though. I'd really just like to know what it's doing and change to Those settings.

Does anyone know what it changes? It doesn't appear to be changing modes on anything at all. I know in 2009 it would change some items to display as box, or points, but nothing appears to change.

I think it's backface cull. I've got it turned on. I switched it off for most everything and it's about twice as fast? Hey, whatever works right?
      Last edited by andrewjohn81; 26-06-2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

This is why the viewport optimisation defaults to bounding box when it's under stress, rather than wireframe.

Comment

I found that switching on use traingle strips speeds things up.
          Patrick Macdonald
          Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

How big is your scene?
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I second triangle Stripes, Caching helps too some times and turning off the redraw helps too.
              To bad they dropped support for Maxstreme for 2010....
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

I have a CX card...
                with Max 2008 and performance drivers is 100X faster than 2010 without this driver.
                Btw, Nvidia is developing maxtreme (now performance drivers) for Max 2010, will be available in one or two months from now.

Comment

Working...
                X