strange lines in sky..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange lines in sky..

I cannot get rid of those lines which look like jpeg bad compression lines... except it doezs this on my psd file...
    any idea ?

try 16bit or some noise/dithering

Comment

It can be tough to avoid at times. 16bit would help alot. In this specific case though, I see no reason why you cant blur it out.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Thanks for your answers.
        the lines appear after i apply a color saturation layer in photoshop.... even if the settings in the layer are very light, the lines keep appearing.

I'll try 16 bit

Have a nice day

Comment

If you already have that with the rendering...do you know how to get the gradation to dither? I always have a hard time doing this.

Comment

It's a perennial problem you can really only solve with noise/texture in the gradients. Going to 16 bit can help, but only to avoid getting it in the first place. Once you have it converting is less helpful, and you have to stay 16bit to maintain it, which is not always possible.

Several layers of different sized and opacity grain/texture blended in is really all you can do to get rid of it AFAIK.

b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Lasso tool. Small gaussian blur.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
                Lasso tool. Small gaussian blur.

Won't work on actual banding. It will only make it worse or move it around.
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Excuse me? Probably could've blurred it even more but I wasn't about to waste much time on this.

You could also lasso out the area and paint in your own gradient.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Huh, I totally would have thought Brett was correct on that one, I've encountered this numerous times in creating skies in Photoshop. Is it because adjustment and paint layers in PS are introducing the banding, and blurring the flattened layers takes it out? I never understood why these show up in the first place, you'd think with 16.7 million colors you wouldn't be able to pick out even the most subtle gradient changes.
                    ShaunDon

Comment

lol. I may ask stupid questions frequently, but:

1) At least I ask them.
                      2) I'm not a complete noob...

Comment

simmsimaging is actually right. This image may not be the perfect example of it since it's actually got a wider variety of colors going on.

The problem for me usually is when someone has something that is black. They want a very very subtle color change on it, but it's flat. Well, so you have a value of say 8 that gradates to maybe 12-16. That leaves 8 bands across the surface. Bluring that ends up making no difference. At best, it just moves around the pixels a bit.

What I really want is to somehow use the old school dither method, but slightly more random. I want to make sure the same exact color doesn't have blocks of itself within a maximum radius. Hopefully I'm explaining that correctly.

I still haven't been able to solve that problem. And yes, 16 bit helps a tiny tiny bit, but that still doesn't help you display the colors on the monitor or print much.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't think I "made it worse." And it could have been done a lot better if I spent more than 10 seconds on it...

Comment

Excuse me? Probably could've blurred it even more but I wasn't about to waste much time on this.

You could also lasso out the area and paint in your own gradient.

You are excused, but you did not get rid of the banding, you just moved it. I can see it on my screen looking at your attachment, but it's more clear if you throw a curve on it and darken it.

You *might* get away with your fix for lo-res screen stuff, but not for print work.
                            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Sorry, but I don't think I "made it worse." And it could have been done a lot better if I spent more than 10 seconds on it...

Sorry man, but you can spend 10 hours with a lasso and blur tool and you'll only chase the problem around the image. You have to look at adding random variations to the pixels through noise/textures to get rid of it. Trust me on this - it's what I do day in and day out and I have been up against this problem more times than I care to count.

b
                              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X