multiple routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple routers

ive got a linksys wrt54g2 which only has 4 ports plus modem. i was wondering if there is another router that will play nice with my router to add on something like the usual 8 you get on a normal hub. will i have to set the starting IPs on the 2nd router to accomodate the IPs being assigned by the 1st router?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Mmm. You really want a network switch. Routers are good for connecting outbound to the Internet but internally they run half-duplex and run into bandwidth issues.

Network switches are equal up and down no matter how many different computers connect at the same time.

I have a spare Linksys WRT54 somewhere and it seems to be playing fine with other Linksys. My main switch is a 20 port business class Dell - worth every extra penny (although sounds like a turbo fan.) It was recommended by a friend who set up Bill Gates home networking lol.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

yeah but does a switch set ip addresses?
      my modem is weird. it needs to be pluged directly to a computer set to "obtain ip address automatically" or to a router that can handle that itself. for the computers plugged into it. So my network has to have the computers set to that and run by the LELA software linksys provides
      Last edited by Da_elf; 09-07-2009, 05:38 PM.

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

yep

yep, well you should set the original router so it receives the ip address, then the switches will receive the ip from that original one.
        Ruben Gil
        www.spvisionz.com
        www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Working...
        X