Windows 7 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Opinions

Now that Windows 7 has been out on Release Candidate and has been made RTM - I'm wondering what your opinions are of it.

I'm wondering the following:
    1) Overall performance.
    2) Overall software and hardware compatibility.
    3) Good and bad features.
    4) Network connectivity.

The reason why I'm asking this is because I skipped over Vista, and with Windows X64, there has always been a few unsupported hardware and software issues (in particular my Canon software as well as Apple.) My main system is about due for a major cleaning...
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Overall reviews are pretty good but it won´t make your programs or renders faster.
    I would install it on new systems or if you have to reinstall your old OS.
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Comment

Well, other than x64 support for more apps - yeah it won't make it any faster. I've just put off Vista and have been thinking it might be a good thing to "change."

Comment

I've been running 7RC and it has been smooth. Performance is good, a friend of mine installed it in an old computer someone was going to throw away, and it works great he tells me. It's based on Vista so everything that is Vista compatible works, so there are no issues with compatibility for drivers or software. I didn't skip Vista so I have been using it for a while, my main issue with Vista is performance. I felt it underperformed compared to XP. 7 steps it up and has better performance all around. I think that for anyone who skipped Vista, 7 is a worthy successor to XP. I am actually really liking 7 and give it two thumbs up.

As far as good and bad features there are some great reviews in Engadget, Lifehacker or Gizmodo:
        http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/windows-7-review/
        http://gizmodo.com/5150298/windows-7...yline=true&s=i

Comment

Are there any issues running Vray between Windows 7 and XP?
          Does anyone also know the licensing policy? I'd HATE to have to buy a copy for each of the 10 computers - 9 of which I only use occasionally...

Comment

as always with windows you need a full license for every computer.
            the cheapest way is "home premium 64", it's about 90 eur here, system builder version.
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Juju I think is asking "Will 3dsmax + VRay behave with a mixed-OS (XP/Vista/7) network?". XP and Vista are fine, so i'm assuming 7 won't break things.

Comment

Working...
              X