Mouse/Navigation Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse/Navigation Suggestions

I've been doing cg for close to 18 years now and its just about recently that I feel pain in my wrist and lower arms. I'd like to shop for a new mouse and was wondering what you guys use.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
    vertex wrangler

I'd recommend a small, flat and light mouse, that you can use without twisting the wrist. That rules out most wireless mice. I never had problems with RSI, until I got a logitech MX 1100. I had to dispose it after two weeks, because of wrist pain. I don't know what they were thinking when designing this mouse.
    Ergonomically, the logitech G9 looks good to me, at least it's flat and doesn't feel like a tennis ball in your hand.

Right now I'm forcing myself to use the wacom intuos tablet for everything, this is the most healthy option, but I find it hard to do without mouse, especially when using the keyboard at the same time, handling the pen slows me down.
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I had the same problems a few years ago and switched to a wacom tablet.
      My wrist is now fully recovered.

With USB you can have more than one input device attached at the same time and i have an additional Logitech G9 Mouse which i use only for gaming.

After a while you will be able to work faster with the tablet in max than with a mouse.
      Screenobjects like Buttons are always on the same absolute position on the tablet so its like typing with a keyboard.
      You know where the Keys are without looking at them.
      With a mouse you have to drag the mousepointer around until its over the object you want to click but your mouse will always be on a different position on your desk.

I have the Intuos 4M which is the best size for dual screen setups for 3d work in my opinion.
      Reflect, repent and reboot.
      Order shall return.

Comment

Yeah, a pen tablet is definitely the way to go. It takes a bit to get used to though. I get cramps just thinking about using Max or Photshop with a mouse. Many simple puzzle games work a lot better with a pen tablet too.

But if you're going to stick with a mouse, I personally find it's easier on the wrist to have tall mouse and a tall desk. And a tall desk is also good because I put my pen tablet on my lap.

- Geoff
        - Geoff

Comment

I also learned how to switch mouse hands. It takes a couple of hours maximum to adjust but once you've done it a few times it comes naturally. It's definitely awkward at first. Try switching for a week and then let your wrist/hand heal.

But I do agree with very tiny mouse profile. You can get a logitech wireless mouse for laptops. They are very tiny. I stay clear of big mice because they only make the problem worse.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I switched over to a mouse called 'Evoluent' about a year ago & now this is the only mouse I will ever own. It's an upright mouse which stops you twisting your wrist/arm.

http://www.evoluent.com/

Below is a piece from their website.

Approved ergonomic mouse of University of California at Berkeley
            The Evoluent VerticalMouse 2 was evaluated in 2007 by a team at the health services clinic in UC Berkeley, including medical doctors, physical therapists, ergonomists, and administrators. It was found to be comfortable, easily adapted to, and promote a neutral wrist and forearm posture. It is the only vertical type mouse approved for staff use within UC Berkeley and for sale in the campus store.

Hope this helps.

PS.I don't forget to take a break & stretch occasionally.
            Last edited by 3DMK; 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM. Reason: Weblink

Comment

That mouse looks like how a mouse should be designed...
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I found a small mouse worse and I dont have big hands - the problem is often due to how much you grip the thing - force your hand to relax and not grip the mouse so tight
                its very much the case that different mice suit different hands

I also have a very soft squishy wrist rest embedded in my mouse pad which helps

and wired all the way - though I bet one day soon they'll stop making them, no demand..

I get differnt aches depending what work I'm doing - lots of fine retouching in Pshop is didfferent pain from pulling vertexes around!

Comment

Originally posted by glyph View Post
                  and wired all the way - though I bet one day soon they'll stop making them, no demand..
                  I'm not so sure that demand for the wired mouse is falling. Most of the upper end gaming mice are still wired due to the latencies found in even the best wireless mice. In fact, there are even some hybrid options now that offer a mini USB connector on the wireless mouse.

My first suggestion for a good all around mouse would be the Logitech G500. It is not small, though it is one of the most comfortable mice I have used. I use a G9 at work, but I have 2 G5 mice (what the G500 has since replaced) at home that I have been using for years with no complaints. Both are great mice, but for the price I think the G500 wins. I also use a ScopeNode at home...I am still undecided with it although it is the simplest of all the mice I own (3-button with scroll).
                  Ben Steinert
                  pb2ae.com

Comment

Wouldn't arm/wrist pains be more a result of your desk setup/ergonomics and possibly along with your posture? I would take a look at this and make sure you're able to sit, relaxed and comfortable. The height of your desk surface shouldn't be too high... your mouse shouldn't be too close to the edge of your desk... your wrist really shouldn't have to be bent at all in order to cover your full range of movements between mouse and keyboard. Maybe your seat height needs to be raised?

If you're doing work with a lot of serious clicking/mouse movement, just make sure you give your wrist a quick break every so often... shake it out... make sure you get some blood flow in there.
                    John Pruden
                    Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
                    3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Working...
                    X