Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for consumer HD video camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for consumer HD video camera?

Hi all

I'm currently using an old SD Sony DV camera and need to go HD (not even full HD needed, but a bonus obviously) I need HD 720p. The pro cameras are way too expensive and with features I'll never use. So I'm going the consumer camera route. Any suggestions?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

How much are you looking to spend?

Some dSLRs have some excellent video now.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I'd go dslr as well. The rebel Ti is really affordable for what you get. Although, if you have Nikon lenses already, then I'd go that route.

They also make a shoulder rig to mount your dSLR on so you can carry it like a camera. Slick!

The upside, You'd also have a pretty nice camera to make your HDR's too. lol

Comment

It depends. Is this for work or for play?
        I think the Panasonic GH1 would be a worthy contender as it will take pretty good images as well. The kit lens (something silly like 28-200mm) is supposed to be optimised for HD as well. This all comes at a price.
        If its just for messing around with, I'm in the market for either a Kodak Zi8, a Kodak ZX1 or a Creative Vado HD pocket camcorder. No IS or anything like that, but they are tiny, easy to use and always in your pocket for those impromptu moments.
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Yeah.. curious too. I'm looking at the Sanyo VPC CG10, 720p/10-MP, for the wife to carry around with the kid. It has IS but I wouldn't consider any electronic IS as a plus on anything less than $200usd; a tripod, via software or a self built rig would be better.

Heh. The spawn is starting to get mobile and is just begging to have a video montage of the numerous failed attempts to thwart gravity with "Bodies" playing in the background.

Comment

The video dslrs are interesting alright but have a few failings: The focus systems on them aren't great (the gh-1 being the best), the sensor wobble is pretty apparent (this is true of a lot of normal video cameras too) and the video codecs they record to don't make the highest quality or flexible footage to work with. Some don't have enough options over frame rates either.

They are gorgeous for doing close up shallow focus work due to the quality of available lenses and huge sensor and they're also pretty good in low light compared to a lot of video cameras. For doing sharp focus footage they aren't the best though. Likewise for shooting something for 3d tracking they aren't the best, especially hand held. This was shot on it using a good tripod and a skateboard for the pan shot in the parking lot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXcd...er_profilepage

If you're going for something to mess around with the 7d is a good option - it shoots good, flexible video at a few different frame rates (so you can shoot sound at the same time), it's got less sensor wobble than a lot of others and shoots slow mo. Plus you're getting a damn good stills camera which is always going to be useful for 3d.

If you want to shoot a lot of hand held video footage you're probably better off going for something like a canon hfs100 - better format for editing and it's physically designed for shooting actual video as opposed to an add on. Ideally you'd have both - the hfs for most stuff and the 7d for your close up shallow focus pretty bits.

Comment

I picked up a 7D recently and am pretty impressed with the footage and focusing.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

pentax k7 or kx are fantastic value for money. and so are the lenses. (half the price of canikon, with a better selection of primes)

plus the weather sealing no one else has. (k7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kFjqJTY270

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS4Iv...eature=related
                Last edited by werticus; 14-10-2009, 07:47 AM.
                WerT
                www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

A friend has a Panasonic GH1 and I think the footage off it is pretty good. High end video types have complained it's not great when it comes to grading or what have you, because of the codecs used, but sure we're not all making feature films. The 7D is good too from what I've read, but I've only used the GH1. The 7D doesn't have a flip out LCD so it's even more awkward to use for shooting video, but from my perspective, it wouldn't bother me at all because I have canon lenses already.

Comment

The 7d is a gorgeous filmmaking tool - Again I'm not sure how well it'd do as an all round video camera but it's great for up close personal stuff. Check out www.philipbloom.co.uk for lots of films and test articles based around the gh1 and canon dslrs.

Comment

My friend is thinking of getting a 7d. He thinks it is a pretty good HD cam and not as expensive as the 5d mk2, which I have, and get very frustrated with the lack of peaking feature when trying to focus. You can get external monitors that have peaking features on them though...but more money to shell out.
                      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                      X