Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGS file import - taking ages

Hi guys,

Im currently importing some IGS cad files...im assuming cad anyway. These files are taking absolutely ages to import into 3dsmax and they are only 80mb. Is there a programme I can use to do this more quickly ?

It is going very slowly on the populating models pass.

I did have some STP files but max doesnt seem to like those..I thought max could import STP files...
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

IGS can be both Nurbs and/or Polydata. Nurbsdata would be tesselated on import and hence prolly take long. Better quality for both stp and iges imports is available via npower plugins or autodesk showcase.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Thanks. I'll check out npower and showcase..
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Bloody hell, they are both expensive ! The job is only worth a bit more than that...
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
          Nurbsdata would be tesselated on import
          not quite correct.
          Max can import iges as nurbs.

You might want to try opening those iges in maya since maya handles nurbs a lot better. If you cant have maya do the job, you can try deep exploration cad edition which can handle those formats.
          Lastly if you still cant get this done, pm me and I'll see if I can help you.

I might add that rhino can also open igeas, from where you can tesselate them by hand. Or if you can open it in maya, you can transfer those files via fbx.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thanks Morbid, I appreciate the offer. Fortunately Rhino can import STP and IGS so I just exported from Rhino as a 3ds and all is fine. A little bit of tidying up, but on the whole a nice conversion.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

@Morbid : I was expressing that quite stupidly. What i meant is that the nurbs data that is created is tesselated for viewport rendering. That is the case with nPower too btw. so importing in wireframe mode is a whole lot of faster.

@steve:
              at least use obj instead of 3ds. But still you are loosing vertex normals by using any of the two wich isnt really desirable and causes shading artifacts and general worse quality. Would be better to do it in maya if you have and use the latest FBX wich supports vertex normals i assume.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

I tried using obj export from Rhino but didnt have much luck with it..That would be my prefered choice.

Unfortunately I dont have Maya.
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

That's odd. I always use obj out of rhino - never had any issues. What was your problem?
                  .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

It just comes in as a jumble of faces...and has only a slight resemblance to the original object.
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

very odd indeed, never had that one.
                      .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

It seems that the options where you select: sort by layer etc need to be on. It works fine then, although I still seem to have dodgy look curves in some areas once imported..
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                        X