mapping on bended objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping on bended objects

hi there, i have the problem, that the mapping coordinates do not follow the bended objects of the street(curb, paving, asphaltmapwith lanes-which i want to assign...)
    i got the tip to create the objects with loft, but all i get is the rendering you see.(i use box in uvw-modifier)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by max montana; 14-10-2009, 12:12 PM.

I use the mapping found by selecting the lofted object, enlarging the Surface Parameters dialog and use the Mapping option there.

Comment

thanks for the tip, works fine for me!

Comment

I was led to spline mapping (found in max 2009 and later) in the UVunwrap tool. Works great for streets.
        mh

Comment

thanks for the tip mikeh, unfortunately i am on max9. does something similar exist there also?

Comment

Easy way around this. Use a spline like someone said, and apply the sweep modifier. It has built in mapping co-ordinates, so you simply apply your map and adjust the tiling/offset for the diffuse/bump what have you, until it looks right on the surface.

I tend to turn off bitmap filtering too, because from eye-level, things start to look weird.

Comment

thanks for the hint judderman, good alternative to loft extrusion

Comment

Take a look at this:
                http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=47377
                www.thefakeworld.net is back!

Comment

thanks for the link, the thread was also started by me

Comment

Originally posted by judderman View Post
                    Easy way around this. Use a spline like someone said, and apply the sweep modifier. It has built in mapping co-ordinates, so you simply apply your map and adjust the tiling/offset for the diffuse/bump what have you, until it looks right on the surface.

I tend to turn off bitmap filtering too, because from eye-level, things start to look weird.
                    If i understand the sweep modifier, it's no different than lofting a shape along a spline. The problem with this is when your road makes compound turns and banks. It's impossible to get it to meet the terrain outside of the road exactly. This is why the spline mapping in max 2009 and later UVW unwrap is so handy. You slice the road out of the terrain, make a spline for the center of the road and then UVW unwrap the mesh, then apply the spline mapping using the centerline spline.
                    Is there a difference between max 9 and max 2009? I thought it was just what people were calling max 2009. The spline mapping in UVW doesn't show up until max 2009.
                    All my roads come from the earthwok models generated by civil engineers where the roads are modeled into the terrain. I've generally just cut the mesh out of the terrain it was modeled into. The problem was mapping...until max 2009 came along. Spline mapping solved that.
                    mh

Comment

max 9 is not the same as max 2009, it was the version before max 2008.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3ds_Max_release_history
                      anyway in max 9 there exists a uvw unwrap modifier, but i couldn`t find a opton for spline mapping there. could you give me a short guideline?

Comment

Originally posted by max montana View Post
                        max 9 is not the same as max 2009, it was the version before max 2008.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3ds_Max_release_history
                        anyway in max 9 there exists a uvw unwrap modifier, but i couldn`t find a opton for spline mapping there. could you give me a short guideline?
                        The option for spline mapping doesn't appear in the UVW unwrap options until max 2009. If you have max 9, then it isn't available to you. Sorry.
                        mh

Comment

no problem, thanks for the tip anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X