cryengine sandbox looks like 3ds max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cryengine sandbox looks like 3ds max

I was surprised when i saw this video, because even that i know that the sandbox always had layout elements which looks similar to 3dsmax, now the complete toolbar looks like 3ds max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tPfM...ayer_embedded#

I wonder if they have plans to compete in the archvis industry against 3dsmax and other 3d software, because the level of quality and the easy of designing scenes is far ahead of classic 3d software.

Is it only me or does anyone else thinks that this is the future of my business?
    www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Am not really surprised as crytek uses max a lot for DCC. I dont think this is the future and i dont think it is as easy as it first looks. Yes creating scenes in the sandbox is easy, fast and nice. But you're working with PreFabs. And a LOT of time and dedication has gone into the assets to play so nice. If you were to create your own assets it all of a sudden isnt that easy anymore.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

I'm in the process of converting my station render/scene into cryengine 2... and preparing the assets and prefabs does take a very long time. Height of tedium tbh, and i'm just doing 1/2 objects a day after work.

It's not an either or - you have to build the scene, and then convert it and re-build it.
      It cant replace max, but it could become a very valuable side by side tool.

In arch viz its going to be used after you've done the stills/when it's mostly signed off, then you're going to need to budget for a few more days/weeks to convert it all and optimise it for the engine.
      Vray doesnt support the projection mapping either - so if you want to bake a high poly to low poly model you also need to change all your materials and re-map the object, then if you want to bake lighting you've got to do it all again.
      Last edited by Neilg; 15-10-2009, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Absolutley amazing...they really are pushing the boundaries !
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

With CryEngine 3 crytek is already revealing some pretty weighty advancements.

I was just looking at the most recent update to Codeblend's Click-VR, and it appears that they have some near-realtime GI magic going on now.

I think the next few years are going to become very interesting for those of us still playing in the CG field.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
          X