Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice leaping from 1 man show to employ people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice leaping from 1 man show to employ people?

Hi all

So this is a question to all those people who made the leap from working for yourself, expanding and employing some guys. Business is slowly picking up and I'm doing more and more work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just concerned that I'm taking on too much. It is increasingly becoming difficult to run the business AND do the actual work on the projects. So at which stage did you decide to employ at least 1 person, and how did you make the decision and how was the transition?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

I've just started down a similar path - with the economy picking up, as it is.

Right now im just outsourcing more and more to some trusted people.

However im still working 14 hrs days 7 days a week. Soon i hope to get an office and employ people full time. I'll be watching this thread for replies from people who have made the leap.
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I would go to Werticus path first...outsourcing some projects locally and one guy overseas with at least 6 hours ahead from you ..so he/she can work when you are sleeping and have 24 hours working hours....if you see that all the work is picking up for few months and coming project for 3 months ahead I'd go to next step(hiring).
      Last edited by flino2004; 01-11-2009, 11:36 PM.
      show me the money!!

Comment

I would look at the possibilities of outsourcing the projects first. Hiring a regular guy on-site has it pluses if the projects come in regularly to accomodate the increased expenses, salaries and overheads. It's a big pain in the you know where when the global economy goes on a down trend. We've learned our lesson well and we thank our subsidiaries in Manila for making it easier for us to expand yet lower the costs.

I normally do not advertise our services as most of the people abroad has negative impressions of outsourcing work. But the fact is, outsourcing has made a few businesses happy. Mine included.

If you are interested in getting extra hand, let me know if we can be of help.

Roy
        www.enising.co.jp
        www.enising.co.jp/quality/index.html (samples)
        www.enising.co.jp/dl/ (samples/downloads)
        www.gstyle.co.jp (entertainment contents division)
        vertex wrangler

Comment

in same situation as well
          I am already outsourcing some bits but you can't beat having someone in the same room

I wonder if finding a partner who does the same thing is a good way to halve the risk - but you then have the partnership problems which can be hard to deal with

I was enormously busy until just recently, but here in the UK I wonder if the second dip of recession is approaching - I certainly dont have the enquiries I had a few months ago

my next step at least, is to get my own office space (am currently subletting)

I also worry about the paperwork and red tape required to employ someone - and then you need a part time book keeper/administrator..

Comment

Do what you enjoy or what takes you the least time and outsource the rest. That recent cga survey suggested that much of the outsourced work was modelling, which is by far the least favorite and most time consuming part, imo. From there, you can consider how else to balance the load, but you ultimately still want to maintain quality and creative control.

Comment

Sorry, changed my mind about posting this.
              Last edited by crazy homeless guy; 10-11-2009, 12:57 AM. Reason: Negative post.

Comment

When I ran my studio I outsourced a bit but I would have only considered a partner not a direct employee. I think being able to share the risk of ownership is better than sharing the risk of loosing work but not of the responsibility. And - having a partner who can fill in talent and skill wise is worth considering.

cant say I am not a bit jealous - glad things are good for you guys but I keep hearing more bad news here. Cant say a recovery seems close right now.

Comment

Working...
                X