overclocked core i7 good for rendering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ight=benchmark

http://randomcontrol.com/index.php?o...=140&benchid=1 not VRAY but well done and very current.

Comment

the i7 is the best bang for buck. Its pretty hard to justify the xeon when the i7 overclocks so well.

However if someone finds a dual xeon motherboard that can overclock... that would be better
      WerT
      www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

um... I was responding to the comment you got from overclockers:

....we can do the bundles with more RAM, however you'd risk having no overclock on the bundle - so there's really no point in going for it, truth be told. It's a choice between the RAM or the overclocked CPU. ...

it makes no sense unless they mean the cost to set it up

Comment

I agree that the i7 is a great solution at it's price point but looking at the frybench stats the Xeons are performing significantly better. When you Look at the most recent Vray Benchmarks (which are not as up to date as frybench) some of the i7's stack up pretty well against the Xeons. However it seems like the current Vray benchmark does not work the processor as hard as the frybench test. Additionally there are so many variations with Max versions and Vray releases that alot of the speed differences can be explained by those elements.

I feel that we need to increase the resolution of the current Vray benchmark so that it gives the processors a longer work out. The current test is over almost before it begins with these new processors. This may not allow the test to run long enough to see the real benefit of the additional cores that Xeons have.

frybench uses a stand alone application for the test which does not use Max. Everyone uses the same software release for the test which is much more controlled than the current test we have for Vray. I know Vlado talked about a stand alone Vray test some time ago that would be a great tool!

Comment

hey

I agree, i think a stand alone test would be fabulous. It would also drive more people to the site in my opniion it would benefit chaosgroup in a whole.
            Ruben Gil
            www.spvisionz.com
            www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

The VRayBench is actually a mini-Linux installation that you can boot up from a USB drive or a CD, so that things like the operating system and other loaded applications/services are also singled out. This works well, but the problem is that you need to set up your network manually to upload the results.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

lol. i remember when i first sent my tower to be tested outside of max in the alpha testing stage. And after all these years it was good to see it pop up in the vray RT seminar you had

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Yep, it is in fact a very good test scene Thanks for letting us use it!

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by glyph View Post
                    um... I was responding to the comment you got from overclockers:

....we can do the bundles with more RAM, however you'd risk having no overclock on the bundle - so there's really no point in going for it, truth be told. It's a choice between the RAM or the overclocked CPU. ...

it makes no sense unless they mean the cost to set it up
                    The more ram you have, the harder it is to achieve a stable overclock. Every additional ram-card increases the likelyhood of mistimings. At least that's my understanding of the issue!
                    Many Thanks
                    Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by RE:FORM_STUDIOS View Post
                      The more ram you have, the harder it is to achieve a stable overclock. Every additional ram-card increases the likelyhood of mistimings. At least that's my understanding of the issue!
                      ahah - never would have guessed that!

Comment

I had 12 GB of ram, and an overclocked I7 and ended up busting the CPU thanks to trying for too much so be careful
                        I had gone from Water to air By the way, and wasn't used to the limitations, that's how i set it up wrong.
                        Not sure if it was related but it also made a pair of Sticks Fault (instant crashes during intense renders)
                        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          The VRayBench is actually a mini-Linux installation that you can boot up from a USB drive or a CD, so that things like the operating system and other loaded applications/services are also singled out. This works well, but the problem is that you need to set up your network manually to upload the results.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Is this available for download?

Comment

With 12GB and an i7 920, I went straight for 4.2ghz. It was stable...ish.... ok it wasn't stable, and after a few weeks of trying out different settings, I found some golden ones for 4ghz, and it's been rock solid since.

Comment

Working...
                            X