Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loading xref MUCH slower than loading file

Hi,

as big amounts of proxies fill up our scenes i noticed some strange behaviour inside MAX;

(using a box as an example, could also be a proxie in point/box mode. amounts are probably relative to pc-power)

1a) create 100.000 boxes. save the file. will take some time, maybe a minute or so.
    1b) restart max, open the file. also takes about a minute. watch dr watson, you see memory usage build op, and afterwards max is ready to work on. so far so good.

2) now restart max, and insert the file as an XREF. watch dr watson. memory builds up same way as opening the file. but, after this max hang's for about 10 minutes at 25% cpu usage.

this is strange, why does it take max MUCH longer to load a file as an xref then it takes to just load the file?! also exitting max is suddenly very very slow.

3) draw 10.000 boxes save the file. create new max file, and xref the file 10 times. no issues. save the file containing only these 10 xrefs and re-open it. goes the way it should, no slowdown. open a new file and xref the compilation file with the 10 xrefs inside. no slowdown either...

i was wondering if someone else can confirm this behaviour? amount of objects will probably vary. it seems max has an issue loading xrefs that shows up when more then a certain big amount of objects are drawn. Not the amount of faces, amount of objects. drawing 100.000 points has the same effect.

the question for us is very relevant as spraying/filling around scenes with proxies (greenery) looks very good, but loading the xrefs really slows down our workflow! Scripting a 'split scene to #n smaller files and recollect in compilation xref' will probably work, but has no beauty price. Other solution is a script to add the xrefs while disabled thus not loading, and have another prerender callback enable them inside the queue.

so, anybody else experiencing this xref related slowdown in loading scenes?

best regards,

(3dsmax2010sp1hf7@xp64pro@8Gb@quadro fx1700)

I hadn't tested it like you had. thanks for that, btw. But yeah, we've had similar slow downs. It seems slightly better after the lastest service pack.

It sucks too because we work primarily with Xrefs. Our files are usually about 250 megs and we work directly off a not so speedy network. That and we save a Lot, so that saves a ton of HD space, not to mention time saving.

ok, did the test as you did. I made sure the boxes weren't instances as well. Did an array of 10,000 boxes. Xref is 21,056 KB
    The scene is 19,572 KB. Not surprising since it has to keep all the data for 10,000 locations.

No abnormal load times here. Only noticeable difference is the xref file uses 571MB of memory when opened. The scene with the xref in it uses 657MB. I knew it would be more, but didn't think it would be almost a hundred Megs.

Everything sounds about right though. I think the SP1 + SP1_hotfix 2009.09.22 helped the Xref mem problem though. Make sure you are running the hotfix. I'm not sure what hf7 means. I just have the file names with dates at the end. I may have missed one in July? I only have May and Sept. May was pre-SP1 though.

(3dsmax2010sp1hf09.22@xp64pro@4Gb@quadro fx4800)

Comment

hf 7, might be an old hotfix... got it from the website though.

thanks for testing. could you also test it on 100.000 boxes? 10.000 go also ok here, but it really slows down above a certain amount of objects...

Comment

oops, sorry. Thought you said 10,000. I'll try 100k shortly.

Sorry...some stuff came up. I can't test it right now. Might not get to it at this point.
        Last edited by andrewjohn81; 13-11-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X