Snap to parallel edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap to parallel edge

Does anyone know of a quick way or a script that lets you connect a vertex to a point directly opposite on a line like in the example?

The only way I can find to do this precisely is to make the cut, and then copy the Y value from the first vertex to the second one (with edge constraint on if the lines aren't completely parallel) or to use a slice plane in polygon mode.
    Attached Files

Doesn't always work quite right, but sometimes... http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/TwoPs.htm
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

If i understand you correctly try,

Insert a vertex along the edge using either "insert vertex" or i use meshtools script to "divide edge". Turn on "Snap" and modify snap settings to "Use Axis Constrants" and "Snap to Vertex" also turn on "Constraints Edge" in editable poly. Now with snap on click and drag vertex along x axis while moving your cursor over target vertex, it will align along the X axis only.

Hopefully that made some sense.
      James Hall
      Technical Director
      New Zealand
      www.jhall.nz

Comment

@beestee
        The plugin looks like it would have been absolutely perfect..... sadly I can't get it to work at all

@Short_Fuse
        That method was easier then the other methods I've tried. I still wish there was a way to do this in a single operation, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Comment

Actually while we're on the subject, there's another thing that's been annoying me...
          Does anyone know of a way to chamfer edges without messing up UV mapping?

Comment

Once it is installed, you have to look in your snaps options, and the drop down box has a new option for VGSnap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ohsnaps.gif
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	842688

For your other question, use the preserve UVs checkbox if chamfering using the edit poly. Alternatively, apply/move your UVW Map to the top of the modifier stack.
            Last edited by beestee; 09-12-2009, 06:55 AM.
            Ben Steinert
            pb2ae.com

Comment

I've been using 2.5d snap for this - restrict it to the x or y axis and drag your mouse over the point underneath - it only takes the horizontal movement. I agree though, something like the smart guides in illustrator would be lovely.

Comment

I did get the snaps activated, they just didn't work like they should. Either they snapped to completely wrong places, or they didn't snap at all. Even with test scenes identical to the examples on the webpage.
                Hmmm I keep getting odd results with preserve UVs and chamfering though but I guess there's no better way. I really should get Modo...

Comment

Working...
                X