No announcement yet.

3dats top 100 artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my free book with no problems, good communication/transaction/shipping/book, something must have gone wrong in mail like Bran said.

Comment

These prices are way higher than what we are offering, and I suspect that despite what you may see, the quality will not be as high. You will pay more than $50 per book to get the best quality, and that won't include Smyth Sewn standards (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=...c=23&category=), glossy paper, and square back binding with head and tail bands.

We started offering this at $10 per book and are now offering at $30...far below their prices. Besides that, there is absolutely no color management quality control on their part. If your book prints dark, it's on you. We're also doing the legwork and you don't have to do anything. With self-print place like this, you got a lot of work to do to get your book.

Also, unless you want a ridiculously thin book, you will need to have a lot of pages to print and the price will skyrocket as will the work involved.

I'm not saying it's not a good deal...it's just the same thing we're providing.

I haven't seen your email, but it wouldn't have come to me. It should have gone to Tod Stephens, who is the project manager of this. You can reach him directly at tod.stephens@3dats.com if you like. I don't know why he wouldn't have responded to your email...he's been getting hammered the last few weeks, but is pretty good about not missing anything. My apologies for our not replying.

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
      In terms of quality, you can get very high quality printed books from places such as: http://www.blurb.com/

Just take a look at the gallery !

Your analogy of paying more for a last minute flight isnt exactly spot on as there are many sites out there dedicated to last minute deals, and prices generally are lower. www.lastminute.com being one of them

I dont think any insults were intended, so apologies if any were taken, but obviously the clarity of reasoning behind this project isnt as clear to some people as it is with others.

I did send an email to you (3dats) the other day after you said my work would be featured in the book, that outlined my concerns, but have not received a reply yet.
      Last edited by brian451; 22-01-2010, 10:41 AM.
      Brian Smith
      www.3dats.com
      3D Architectural Training Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
        By the way. Brian, will my contact details be featured in the book ?
        That's up to you. It's your page and you can put whatever you want on it. Our compositor will contact each submitter when we have all the pages locked in. She'll lay everything out the way you want, or come up with something if you don't.
        Brian Smith
        www.3dats.com

Comment

Thanks for the words.

BTW, this is not at all about bragging. It's purely a marketing product. Nothing more. This is not to brag to others in the industry about...although we're not going to print crap and we're not taking everyone's submissions, so there should be some small sense of accomplishment by being printed. However, it's about showing your work to potential clients in a way that really makes an impression. I don't see how it's different than buying a spot in Architectural Digest, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
          I was very ott with the comment, so i'm sorry about that. It comes arcoss way too harsh which I didnt mean.

As for what I said, it's not the site itself, more the users and content, and it's what 'I find'
          I just dont feel like theres much of a community there.
          Wasnt intended as a dig - It was just a heavy handed way of saying its not for me anymore.

Sham for cash was too much, yes, but I still dont like the pricing scheme. The arguments about getting your work in a book to show clients (which is also filled with other peoples work) fall flat to me too. I dont know, i'm just not into that bragging side and have never had to fight for clients like that.
          Anyone i've got work from has known what cg looks like and not needed that.

I was well off point with saying it was a sham if you're not making any money and it's an investment to build up a brand or whatever, so fair enough. Sorry about that.
          tbh i'm clearly not your target market, and i'm hardly going to influence anyone who is either.
          Brian Smith
          www.3dats.com

Comment

Originally posted by brian451 View Post
            Thanks for the words.

BTW, this is not at all about bragging. It's purely a marketing product. Nothing more. This is not to brag to others in the industry about...although we're not going to print crap and we're not taking everyone's submissions, so there should be some small sense of accomplishment by being printed. However, it's about showing your work to potential clients in a way that really makes an impression. I don't see how it's different than buying a spot in Architectural Digest, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
            Funny you say that, I'm not ragging on the book in any way, but when you mentioned marketing product I had to respond. Personally why would I use your book for marketing when my work is sandwiched between my competitors? When your trying to market yourself, you show the prospective client 'your' work and your work alone. Thats why you print your own materials.

That said I'm all for the book, just don't see the marketing possibilities.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
              I was very ott with the comment, so i'm sorry about that. It comes arcoss way too harsh which I didnt mean.

As for what I said, it's not the site itself, more the users and content, and it's what 'I find'
              I just dont feel like theres much of a community there.
              Wasnt intended as a dig - It was just a heavy handed way of saying its not for me anymore.

Sham for cash was too much, yes, but I still dont like the pricing scheme. The arguments about getting your work in a book to show clients (which is also filled with other peoples work) fall flat to me too. I dont know, i'm just not into that bragging side and have never had to fight for clients like that.
              Anyone i've got work from has known what cg looks like and not needed that.

I was well off point with saying it was a sham if you're not making any money and it's an investment to build up a brand or whatever, so fair enough. Sorry about that.
              tbh i'm clearly not your target market, and i'm hardly going to influence anyone who is either.
              Apology accepted and glad to hear that V1 does not have a bias towards CGA. Vince contacted me, to let me know he was not the poster.

Comment

Oh absolutley, that has nothing to do with vinny or anyone here at all - he doesnt agree with me either.
                I should add a disclaimer to my sig that this is my personal login...

Comment

Free book

Thanks Brian. Which book is it?
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

There are plenty of ways to make use of this...here are just a few.

A professional photo of the spread displayed on your website
                    A wall mounted framed or glass mounted display
                    Personally showing your client at the beginning of a meeting
                    Mentioning it on the phone, in a brochure, etc..."As displayed in the recent publication 'Top Visualization Artists'"
                    Showing it to a potential client as they come in for a first meeting
                    Sending an email blast to past clients or potential clients mentioning that you were selected...great excuse to send an email

There are numerous ways to make use of this, and you can be creative about it just as you would be in a 3D project.

Originally posted by percydaman View Post
                    Funny you say that, I'm not ragging on the book in any way, but when you mentioned marketing product I had to respond. Personally why would I use your book for marketing when my work is sandwiched between my competitors? When your trying to market yourself, you show the prospective client 'your' work and your work alone. Thats why you print your own materials.

That said I'm all for the book, just don't see the marketing possibilities.
                    Brian Smith
                    www.3dats.com

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                      Thanks Brian. Which book is it?
                      http://3dats.com/expert_book/
                      Brian Smith
                      www.3dats.com

Comment

IMO - most useful to show to your parents so they don't give you a hard time about your career choice.

Secondly, keep it on your coffee table with a bookmark on the page in case you have a bunch of ladies over. Much cheaper than having to pay for some things.

Ah, the possibilities are endless...
                        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
                          IMO - most useful to show to your parents so they don't give you a hard time about your career choice.

Secondly, keep it on your coffee table with a bookmark on the page in case you have a bunch of ladies over. Much cheaper than having to pay for some things.

Ah, the possibilities are endless...
                          LOL... you are funny!

Personally I think that showing your own images is the best thing... that and client referrals. can't see any value in such a book really, especially with such a low amount being printed and circulated.
                          sigpic

Comment

Book

Originally posted by brian451 View Post
                            It will not allow me to change the price.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Showing images of your work to your client is good...showing them an image of your images in a book like this I think would be better.

Originally posted by bakbek View Post
                              LOL... you are funny!

Personally I think that showing your own images is the best thing... that and client referrals. can't see any value in such a book really, especially with such a low amount being printed and circulated.
                              Brian Smith
                              www.3dats.com

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                                It will not allow me to change the price.
                                Like I said yesterday, you have to go to our website, click the Make a Payment button, and make a payment of $10. That's it. You don't go to the place that you normal would purchase the book from.
                                Brian Smith
                                www.3dats.com

Comment

Working...
                                X