No announcement yet.

time to upgrade...MAC PRO or again PC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did a quick side by side price comparison for the Dual Mac Pro and a Dell with the same (slightly better) specs and the Dell was a $150 US cheaper. Then I did a side by side with the highest end Dual Mac Pro I could configure and Dell with the same (still a little better) specs and it was more than $!000 US less with 8gig less ram or $1200 more with 16gig more ram (couldn't set it to the apples max 32gig dell only had 24 or 48 ).

Dell had way more options and you could setup a better system for the same price or spend some more and get a better system.

I thought about getting a Mac Pro year or so ago because everyone said it ran windows better and faster than a PC made for windows and that it would cost less. I did a bunch of research and found that PCs are still usually cheaper even from the likes of Dell and that if you are willing to get your hands dirty you can get the same system for almost half the price of a Mac Pro. Of course this is all for new systems. If you are willing to bargain hunt you can get refurbed or open box Mac Pros, Dells and HPs all for even less but you get what ever someone else configured but didn't want.

I also thought about it long and hard. Since I have been using windows for years, all my software is Windows based (especially 3d Max and Vray!) and was just looking for a new system the Mac Pro made very little sense. I would be getting the system to work 95%+ of the time in Windows but spending more money and running on a system that wasn't really made for windows and compromising on things like the video card and ram.

I came to the conclusion the only reason to buy a Mac Pro is if you use or Macs and Mac apps most of the time. If you want to try out a Mac go get a custom PC made from a good vendor and spend the money you saved to buy a cheap Mac to play with.

But that's just me -:]
    t1t4
    www.boring3d.com

Comment

Originally posted by rmejia View Post
      I think you can have dual monitors using the video out in the iMac with a mini dvi to dvi cable for the second monitor.

the apple tech spec says:
      Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately). 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources

This means that you can use the imac also as a monitor for another mac or a gfx card with a displayport!
      Last edited by Dschaga; 01-02-2010, 10:11 AM.
      www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

can you upgrade the video card on the 27" Imac?
        Two heads are better than one ...
        ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
        X