Upgrading graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading graphics card

My 8800GTX is having a struggle keeping up with polycounts in 3DS Max and I thinks it's time to invest in a new card. My budget is 500 euros give or take a hundred. With all the fuss about GPU rendering is there any specific line of cards I should be looking at? I'm honestly completely clueless about the GFX cards these days and would be grateful if someone with more up to date info could share some light to the subject
    Ville Kiuru
    www.flavors.me/vkiuru

look at upcoming geforce 100 code named fermi. They should be out in a few month, suppose to be smoking card.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Just did some research and looks like it's worth the wait. Thanks for the info!
      Ville Kiuru
      www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

I'm going to do some tests when that comes out. Going to put it up against something like my QuadroFX 4800 with maxtreme drivers and see which fairs better.
        Those drivers make a Huge difference. Also, if you were an early adopter (maybe when I first posted about them being out), then get the new drivers. They fixed a Huge bug.
        That always scares me about the performance drivers though. Sure they are faster, but at what cost? Stability? maybe no thanks.

Comment

problem is with quadros, while it may do better with max performance drivers, what about other apps? in mudbox for example it makes no difference weather its geforce or a quadro. In maya there are its own ups and downs. It has to be looked at in a larger scope.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

That's a really good point. And some companies, like Adobe, are supporting Non-Quadro cards by selling enhanced drivers that utilize the GPU for commonly CPU tasks which work on cheaper cards....or do those only work on Quadro cards still. I know the CX card has them built in and you can buy the drivers for 299, but can't remember if it works on anything that has Cuda or not.

We use Max, Rhino, and Adobe stuff, so the Quadro is working fine. That and I have to get pre-spec'd systems by our IT department. CAD workstations are spec'd with Quadro cards. I don't have a choice.....yet. I'm in talks with them to allow me to test a higher end gaming card so we can see how well ProE and Rhino compare with those.
            That's just the way it runs in larger corporations I guess. IT has to make systems that work for everyone for the most part.

Comment

The ATI 5850 is a good deal. I installed a 4850 in a friends PC as well and is screamed in Max 2010, much faster than the Quadro 4600's I had at my old place.
              Was able to do 90 million poly's (instanced sphere) in pretty much real time and was able to turn all the features on in 2010 and work in real time.....
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Got to take a look at the atis and nvidias when the new nvidia comes out. That and not shure if vray rt will have the gpu part added to it or will it be a new 3rd product. Whatever you guys pick in the end, please do tell, reading benchmarks from game oriented sites makes my brain hurt.

Comment

Yeah, would be best to wait for Fermi before doing any comparisons...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Pro E and like like generally run well if not better on Quadros and FireGL's. Max can run Direct X and to me it's always been faster. I run the performance driver for the Quadros I used to run and when the performance driver was not available I ran Direct X because for Max it was faster.
                    Open GL...Quadro
                    Direct X - gaming cards.
                    Two heads are better than one ...
                    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

to anyone who can she some light...

looking to upgrade myself... any real performance gain or issues from running a GTX 285 with an OpenGL 3.0 API? I have found dif manufacturers that use the same chipset but offer them with Direct X10 and OpenGL 2.1. Am I missing something here?
                      Architecture Drop-out...

Comment

Just my 2c worth. I'm rocking a Quadro 1800 on one machine and a GTX285 on other. My goodness there is something either wrong with the quadro, or it just plain sucks. When running the performance drivers in MAX, the quadro will rotate and pan fairly quickly.. When you try and select something then rotate , i get 0.6fps!

Even the standard DX/GL drivers work better.

The 285 on the other hand handles pretty much everything very nicely - even with edges turned on.

There could very well be some issues with drivers (i've tried half a dozen) but I suggest trying out one of those 'pro' cards on your exact system before laying down the cash

- on 3dsmax 2010 - Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Working...
                        X