Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup crash when exporting

Hi Guys,

I have a job that requires a large Island sketchup model to be exported to 3ds max 2010. I have tried 3ds, obj but they just crash. DAE format just doesnt work and DWG format kind of works but a lot of the geometry is buggered once imported. I do not have a subscription and I am aware that there is a sketchup importer with the connection extension...should I consider getting the subscription sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding sketchup crashing or exporting these models to max.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

you could try .fbx, it works well but the scaling doesnt make sense.
    the sketchup importer does work very well tho. just a shame it doesnt work it 2009.
    Nat Saiger
    Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
      Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding sketchup crashing or exporting these models to max.

Write frequent emails to the sketchup team to tell them what a joke their export options are. I often receive sketchup produced models & although I don't have to export them myself, I have to deal with the end result.
      If sketchup is serious about being professional software then they need to really lift their game on exports. There will always need to be good export options for any 'serious' 3d software as there is always many different 3d software involved in Achviz pipelines.

Cheers

Comment

This is the first time Ive had to use sketchup. Even the guys working on doing other parts of the 3d are experiencing problems with this file. Crashing exports etc.
        I'll try the FBX option see if that works..cheers.
        I dont suppose google will update sketchup soon so im going to have to look at other options. I was wondering if blender has any options for importing sketchup files accurately...or maybe cinema4d ?
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I ever clean my files purging all the extra information before even try to export the model.
          Split the model in small portions...in options make sure that only export faces
          the file could be corrupted....copy paste your model into a new file.
          save as a copy and delete all the materials after that try to export the geometry to check if the texture maps are OK.
          show me the money!!

Comment

I download the Connection Extension for 3Ds max and it allows you to import .skp files. This has worked great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy P View Post
              I download the Connection Extension for 3Ds max and it allows you to import .skp files. This has worked great for me.
              Yes, im sorting out my subscription on Monday so I will try this method should the FBX method fail. Cheers for the advice.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

p.s. I really prefer the old format with this forum
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Haven't tried this but may be worth a go....cheaper then subscription.

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugin...SMAX-main.aspx
                  -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Originally posted by dellis View Post
                    Haven't tried this but may be worth a go....cheaper then subscription.

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugin...SMAX-main.aspx

Yeah I'd seen that. The reason I was considering going the subscription route was also because Autodesk had bumped their upgrade costs to half the full product value. I will check this out though.ta
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i usually have to export as selected and export in pieces when the model is that large. Usually what crashes with me.
                      Ruben Gil
                      www.spvisionz.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Ive tried that and it still crashes. I think I may try the paste into new scene option. Do I have to open up a 2nd sketchup programme to be able to do that or do I just merge it into a new scene like you would with 3dsmax ?
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

yep. I work it just like 3d max. =(
                          Ruben Gil
                          www.spvisionz.com
                          www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Working...
                          X