3d scanner to build sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d scanner to build sunglasses

I'm about to start a new project that requires 36 pairs of sunglasses to be modeled & rendered. Unfortunately the manufacturer will not release its 3d model data and therefore they have to be modeled from plans and elevations. It’s hard to complain as I am thankful to have some actual work to do, but this looks like torture. One option might be to get them scanned in 3d. I'm clueless about this approach (just started looking around the web) and wondered if anyone has any experience with this. Is there a ton of cleanup required? Can you rent them? Bad idea? Thanks in Advance.

Sean
    Sean MacNintch

Why is it hard to build from plans and elevations ? I cant imagine glasses being that complex that it would be a nightmare job..
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

maybe I'm being too cautious, just trying to be smart about it. I would consider myself a good modeler (more so in architecture), but i'm wary of doing a crap job. I looked at your site...great work! Did you model the accord?
      Sean MacNintch

Comment

Thanks. The Accord was refined CAD data.
        Im sure you will do a good job. Scanning them in 3d sounds like more of a nightmare job to me...and probably quite expensive.
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

well i guess its time to really dig into the graphite modeling tools of 2010 i have not had a chance to play with yet
          Sean MacNintch

Comment

Let me know if you need any help. Im an experienced modeller
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

thanks! will do
              Sean MacNintch

Comment

@Steve: I quite like the Dr. Dre headphones. Did you have CAD data for that as well? One of the biggest time sinkholes for me at this time is making proper beveled edges in Max. Often ends up taking longer then building the actual shape. Perhaps it's time to invest in Modo :-/

Comment

alright...the plot has thickened. It turns out that not all the glasses have construction documents. Some are apparently built/designed by hand and then they somehow manufacture a bunch of them. My client is trying to find out more information, but in the meantime I'm back to research 3d scanners. Ideas? comments?

thanks
                  Sean MacNintch

Comment

build your own scanner and use that software called david (or something like that)

---------------------------------------------------
                    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I got David 3d and it works ok, you still have to do the retopo afterwards. It is really inexpensive though better have a spinner built to hold the objects. Probably would do it without the lenses on and with lots of baby powder on the frames to counteract the possible shine. Shiny things are the worst for the scanner.

Comment

Wow sounds like an expensive process. lol
                        Ruben Gil
                        www.spvisionz.com
                        www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Not at all compared to other sorts of scanners.

Comment

Working...
                          X