No announcement yet.

objects along spline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing that. I am trying to decide if this tool will be useful for an upcoming project, but for that I'll need to use this approach for initial position and layout, but then I'd like to be able to tweak individual objects height in Z (so offset from the path). Is there a way to "freeze" the constrained objects to remove the path constraint, but keep the shape/layout you create with the path constraint? I can't seem to get rid of the path now without losing the whole setup.

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

I don't know if it's exactly what you need, but you can create a dummy helper that follows the spline and link the object to it.

Comment

hmm. not sure, but it doesn't sound like it. I need to create a pattern of things kind of like overlapping scales, but more randomly shuffled around in terms of offset, rather than in perfect rows (which could be done by shifting the whole path in Z). With the path constraint I can get what I need in x/y postions, but the objects are all snapped to the spline in Z direction so they don't overlap properly. I can live with some random interpenetration for a lot of it, but the part right in the foreground will need to be hand tweaked to get the overlaps looking correct. Can't seem to do that with the path constraint. I was hoping for a way to just turn that 'off' once I had the positions laid out.

b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

I'll double check when my rendering stops, but I think you can do this using the VrayScatter plug-in.
          IIRC, you can choose meshes or splines to act as the distribution objects...

Comment

Thanks Voltron7 - I think you can as well, but I can't run VRS at this time, unless I change my Vray version, which I was hoping to avoid.

b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Brett, just out of curiosity, which Vray version are you running?

Comment

you can explode items out of the path constraint and have them remain in place
                I just dont have 3dsm running now so cant remember how exactly
                I think all you have to do is convert to mesh or poly
                -alternately the snapshot tool will place them as static objects according to the apparent animated motion on the path

Comment

Vray Scatter is great for arrays of regular spaced objects. It uses the UV Mapping as a reference for position/rotation/scale. There are a lot of very cool things you can do with it.... but maybe not exactly what you want.

Have you tried the Clone Modifier from Itoo? It's free and can do parametric arrays with some added random transforms. It sounds like maybe you can do what you are talking about if you use multiple clone mods to create rows and columns.

do you have an image of what you are trying to accomplish? Maybe we can be more helpful if we had a picture...

Comment

I will look into the Clone Modifier - thanks Jonah. I can't share a pic because the layouts are still confidential, which makes it a bit tough If you picture roof shingles or scales, but more haphazardly organized so they are in rows and columns, but are not overlapping in perfect rows. That's the sort of thing. Just laying out a bunch of rows and columns with some subtle randomness, but also adding a slight random transform in Z would do the trick. I've done a test with Neil Blevin's object painting and that can work, but the spline option would be so much more editable.

b
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by jonahhawk View Post
                      To take it a step further, you could add a custom attribute to the spline that sets the spacing in world units or percentage or whatever. Then add a script controller to the Percent property of each LampPost.
                      Maybe some more info?

Originally posted by Codi View Post
                      @Mnietek2707:
                      Enabling "Follow" in path constrain has worked for you?
                      Almost. A problem arises, when the road is not perfectly flat. This cause that street lamp isn't vertical. Here is a MAX 2010 file

Comment

You can Link the lamp to a dummy object, set the lamp to only inherit Z rotation, and make the dummy follow the path.
                        Attached Files

Comment

You are smart guy
                          Thank you for very useful information

Comment

Working...
                          X