Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal to create and sell 3D models of cars, aircraft etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal to create and sell 3D models of cars, aircraft etc?

Hi all

Can I legally make and sell 3D models of existing cars, boats, aircraft, furniture etc without asking permission from the original designer/manufacturer like for example, Nissan, Lockheed Martin etc.

You know similar in the lines of what companies like Evermotion and Dosch is doing (I don't have a clue if they just doing it or have/need permission)

Obviously I would need to consult a lawyer on the subject, but I would like to hear from some artist that may have some knowledge or experience in this sort of thing.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Not sure, never dealt with this kind of issue, however like in photos etc. I believe as long as you create the object and don't use any trademarks /logos, u should be fine. Just an opinion, i would consult legal advice as you stated.
    Ruben Gil
    www.spvisionz.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Alot of people, and I mean alot of people would be in alot of trouble if you couldn't. I'm not saying thats a definitive answer, but there you have it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

from the 3docean.net faq/wiki:

The file must NOT include any brand names, logos or trademarks. For example: You cannot use an Apple or McDonalds logo, even if you have recreated it, photographed it, or altered it. You cannot use a photo of a watch if the brand name of the watch is legible.

The file must NOT include patented and trademarked product designs such as music players, computers, cars, toys and so on. For example: You cannot use an iPod, iPhone or Ferrari in your file, even if you have recreated it, photographed it, or altered it.

and yet there a lots of recognizable cars and other design items on 3docean for sale.....
        www.peterguthrie.net
        www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

just go to turbosquid...
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I made a 4minute movie about a new tire with a nice looking audi A6 model in it that i bought only.
            Shortly after the movie was published the audi legal department contacted my customer and prohibited to show the scenes with the car.
            Because the A6 was visible in almost every scene i had to redo the whole movie with a fantasy car.

I dont know if that was just bad luck but i would stay away from anything that is trademarked, especially cars.

Edit: I dont know what happened to the guy who sold the model on 3do2.
            Most of those artists are anonymous, maybe in order to protect them from charges.
            Last edited by tammo; 26-03-2010, 04:16 AM.
            Reflect, repent and reboot.
            Order shall return.

Comment

It's hard for companies to go after small guys, especially when it comes to other countries. They're not going to send people to jail, and how much money would they get out of most people? It's not worth it.

Companies like Dosch have been doing it for years - if anyone was to be taken down for it, I'd imagine they would. Worst that would happen is probably a cease and desist letter.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tammo View Post
                I made a 4minute movie about a new tire with a nice looking audi A6 model in it that i bought only.
                Shortly after the movie was published the audi legal department contacted my customer and prohibited to show the scenes with the car.
                Because the A6 was visible in almost every scene i had to redo the whole movie with a fantasy car.

I dont know if that was just bad luck but i would stay away from anything that is trademarked, especially cars.

Edit: I dont know what happened to the guy who sold the model on 3do2.
                Most of those artists are anonymous, maybe in order to protect them from charges.
                This was probably because Audi had a vested interest in advertising/collaboration with a big brand tire company like Dunlop. Audi don't want Dunlop for example to see their cars with Bobbie's rubber under them. I find it hard to imagine Apple, Dell, Ford complaining about their product being advertised for free in an Architectural Visual. I can however, imagine they would get annoyed if you were using rendered images to actually sell their product. It's not actual re-creation that could be the issue, it's what it is used for.
                Last edited by danieljhatton; 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM.
                Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

Working...
                X