3ds max 2011 material editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max 2011 material editor

when you have the material editor open with a selected piece of geometry, it was easy enough to go "get material" - from selected. (2010)

but now that they've changed all that, how do u get a material from the selected geometry?

just to add, I absolutely hate the new material/map browser, things that took 1/2 clicks now take more effort. I dont understand why they made certain things more complicated!

Comment

there is also the old mat editor.
      max 9 + vray

Comment

I actually prefer the new Material Editor its alot faster than the 2010 version.The Eye Dropper is now on the top panel top left of the Material browser and also on the top panel top right is select material by object...Where a window pops up and shows what items are set with what materials.

if thats what you meant?

Comment

I am with the haters of this slate thing. Honestly, I never understand the folks who were crying for a node base material editor. I love node based compositors - e.g. FUSION - but the slate is wasted screenspace. The problem we are talking about here is as follows:
          Imagine you have a very dense scene with tons of objects which are hard to select via the eye dropper. It is so much faster to first select one, two or ten objects and then use the "get material from selected".

Sure, we have the old material editor mode but the "get material from selected" is missing there too.

To make things worst, they dropped the "put Material to Scene" function. It was so great if you had 2 materials, e.g. one for the night shot and one for the day shot. Just load the one you need and replace it in the scene with the "put Material to Scene" function. And as always, any new features are badly implemented. But thats better for another thread.

Regards
          BLADE

Comment

I LOVE the new material editor, i've been saying for years they need to go node based and i'm so glad they finally got rid of (/hid) the old crap one.

You can turn slate off and have the old material editor exactly as it was too, so if you dont like it then dont use it.
            Last edited by Neilg; 12-04-2010, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leehumphries View Post
              I actually prefer the new Material Editor its alot faster than the 2010 version.The Eye Dropper is now on the top panel top left of the Material browser and also on the top panel top right is select material by object...Where a window pops up and shows what items are set with what materials.

if thats what you meant?
              Yeah as BLADE said, when you have lots of objects it gets rather difficult with the eye dropper. Thankfully someone has written a wonderfully simple script that does just chuck whatever material you have selected into the material editor. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...lectedmaterial
              written by the same guy who brough you 'relink bitmaps' awesome stuff. hope someone finds it useful.

Comment

Glad someone made this script i dont think i can live without select by material..lol. who in the right mind in Autodesk would change this...
                Ruben Gil
                www.spvisionz.com
                www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

These decision can only be made by people who never worked with the software in a production environment under the threat of short deadlines.

Regards
                  BLADE

Comment

I am no script expert, it is all greek to me, but i am sure some wizz could edit the script above so that it loads the selected materials in to Slate view. It must be possible.
                    Resolution Digital
                    www.resolutiondigital.co.uk

Comment

I am a big fan of the "get material" with the selected radio button option instead of the eyedropper as well. In Slate, you have to right click on the "Scene Materials" rollout and choose "filter selected objects" It's certainly not ideal....
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	selectedObjs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	842955
                      | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

Hi, I wrote Relink Bitmaps and GetSelectedMaterial. What's up? I'm not sure what "slate" is, but I could do something for you if you provide me with some information

I love GetSelectedMaterial by the way. I use it more than anything anyone has written (Except vray). I assign it to CTRL-Shift-G and select a bunch of objects and hit it and edit the materials in the mat editor. It's very handy.

Now where were we, oh yes, what did you need?
                        Colin Senner

Comment

Is my avatar still this? Wow, that is an old picture. Time for an update. I'm really hoping Da_Elf will resurrect one of his old ones, brings back memories.
                          Last edited by MoonDoggie; 18-04-2010, 08:51 PM.
                          Colin Senner

Comment

Hey Colin - just went to grab your material script, but it does not seem to be on your site. Is it still available?

b
                            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Hey Brett,
                              The script is listed on Scriptspot, I haven't ported it over to my site (thanks for the reminder).

Here's the link
                              http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...lectedmaterial
                              Colin Senner

Comment

Working...
                              X