Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

backburner stripes rendering - can you change to vertical stripes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backburner stripes rendering - can you change to vertical stripes?

I ask because most of my scenes have a very quick rendering sky background and the rendering work would be divided much more evenly if BB would render stripes vertically. Especially on a tight deadline when I want to split the image between 2 equal render nodes with maximum efficiency.
    "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    -Mitch Hedberg

would be more of a max wishlist thing but i totally agree. maybe turn the camera on its side and change the width and height.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

was thinking the same just yesterday. Even buckets instead of stripes can be nice too.
      --Muzzy--

Comment

I just tried rolling the camera 90 degrees (angle snap useful) and reversed the width and height (640x480 to 480x640) to compensate but the FOV seems to change (wider angle). Tried with both phys cam and regular cam with same result. I can't wrap my brain around why that would happen. Any ideas?
        -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i had the same problem when i tried. was hoping someone else could figure it out cuz i couldnt

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I meant focal length, not FOV. And it has nothing to with rolling the camera. Focal length is related to image width (apparently) and not height. Or maybe it's related to the largest image dimension width or height. Set to 640x480 and change to 640x320 and focal length doesn't change but set to 640x1024 instead and apparent focal length changes (objects render smaller). There's prob a way to calculate a focal length "correction" that would compensate, and write a maxscript...
            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

This is because the aperture needs to be inverted too to achieve the same FOV. What should be possible (havent tried but it should) is holding down the arrow button next to the Fov spinner and switching from horizontal to vertical fov and re-adjust it to the same value as before.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Ok that might work for a standard camera, but what about a phys camera? I don't see anything resembling a fov spinner there. Just film gate and focal length. I just looked up some info on sp4a and found this

- It is now possible to submit DR servers list for DR through backburner

Still researching how that works but might be an easy (or horrifying) alternative. Haven't touched DR in years.
                -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Well you can still just calc the correct aperture i guess (not really using physCam here). It is called film-gate in the physcam. It is usually horizontal and basically is the width of the sensor. So what might work
                  is check out the values in a standard cam, and add the correct focal from the standard to the physcam one...so you dont have to do the maths

Comment

Interestingly enough, it appears that you can enter the "image aspect" in the phys cam "zoom factor". (1.333 for 640x480 for example) Or you can leave the film gate as is and multiply the focal length x the image aspect. The zoom factor is obviously the simplest as long as it doesn't screw with exposure.
                    -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                    X