Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Window 7 or keep XP?

Hi,

One of hard drives failed and so i need to reinstall it all and was wondering if it's time to go with Windows 7? any thoughts about that... Is XP 64bit still better in performance while using 3ds max + VRay?
    sigpic

I'm really enjoying windows 7 64bit. I don't think you'll regret going with it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I've been running Windows 7 Beta for the past year on my Render Farm and it's been very solid. I'm looking forward to upgrading everything to Windows 7 soon.

Comment

I too have been running Windows7 64bit for at least a year now and I haven't looked back. I am very happy with the new enhancements to windows explorer! You will be pleasantly surprised. Plus it is the easiest OS install I have ever done.
        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
        Midwest Studios

Comment

Windows 7 64 bit is rock solid for me as well. Just about everything works without hassle . . . even things that were shaky in XP(blu-ray playback in my case). Highly recommended.
          Steve Burke
          www.burkestudios.com

Comment

Any reason win7 64 home premium wouldn't be fine for a render slave? Looking at a refurbished dbox and there's no OS choice
            "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Win7 was solid for me. Max is also crashing farrr less.
              Ruben Gil
              www.spvisionz.com
              www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Very interesting...good to get this kind of feedback. I'll probably make the change sometime this year..
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Upgraded work computers from XP32bit too Win764bit earlier this year, haven't ran into any troubles so far. Was quite pleased that my workstation Win764bit plays nicely with the WinXP64bit render farm nodes.
                  James Hall
                  Technical Director
                  New Zealand
                  www.jhall.nz

Comment

Windows 7 x64 is the best option at the moment. I have 12Gb of Ram and it's using 12% of that at the with Sketchup open. Vista x64 is using 16% with the same amount of ram with nothing open. Vray DR, Backburner and RT work perfectly between 7 and Vista x64 here.
                    Daniel

www.danieljhatton.com

Comment

while I mostly like W7 I found a few things maddening:
                      you can't arrange thumbnails arbitrarily, they are always sorted by name/date/type etc - so you cant drag them around in a folder
                      and I sorely missed the 'up' button in folders (breadcrumb is fine for some things but simple up is good too)
                      - I also couldn't care less about the new program start thing

after lots of searching I found fixes for those so if anyone wants 'em I'll dig up the links

the 'seconds' indicator when viewing file listings in detail view is gone too, which was useful when skimming 1000 vrmaps, but I learned to live without that
                      and I hate 'windows live mail' - even Vista had 'windows mail' which was identical to outlook express - so I use Thunderbird now which I dont like much either

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...

It's strange but it is a first time i see 100% positive opinion about a Microsoft OS even though limited to our scope of 3D

I installed Windows 7 it is very nice and fast and many things work better.

So far so good, but i get more issues using VRayScatter and VRay RT then before on the XP system. 3ds Max crashes much more often when using these when previously it work fine for the same scenes being tested.
                        I'll share more info as i go along setting the system up for full production.

Cheers.
                        sigpic

Comment

good to hear, except on the crashing part. What video Card do you have? I ended up reverting back to older drivers. There was an old post were someone recommended the older nvidia drivers for the gtx series and it avoided a lot of crashed for me. Might want to consider that. =)
                          Ruben Gil
                          www.spvisionz.com
                          www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Working...
                          X