Chinese characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese characters

I've got a problem, which probably not many others here would experience. I live in Hong Kong and work regularly with Chinese 3d consultants. Their files mostly have Chinese names.

Now, when they send me Max models, with all maps included, its a nightmare, as my 3ds Max does not want to read any Chinese characters, even though I do have both simplified and traditional Chinese characters installed.

When I rename the files, it does work. However this is really very slow and cumbersome to do.

Does anyone perhaps know what the solution is?

Thanks

you could do a batch rename in photoshop/ifranview and that will save you a lot of work.
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
      you could do a batch rename in photoshop/ifranview and that will save you a lot of work.
      Yes, but then I still have to change the path for every texture in the material editor. Every time you do that, you have to wait looooong for max to first try and find it itself, before the window opens... rather frustrating and time consuming.

Attached is a screen cap.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ebow3d; 14-04-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I don't know anything about alternate language/character sets, but sound to me like it works fine for your consultants, so what is the difference between your setup and theirs? I guess what I'm saying is I'd look to them for help since they would be more familiar with it....
        | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

Originally posted by SnipeyX View Post
          I don't know anything about alternate language/character sets, but sound to me like it works fine for your consultants, so what is the difference between your setup and theirs? I guess what I'm saying is I'd look to them for help since they would be more familiar with it....
          Yeah, you are correct. However, due to language issues, it is sometimes hard to have complicated discussions. My Cantonese is practically non-existent, and their English is not too hot .

Anyway, they have the official Chinese versions of WinXP installed, as opposed to my English version, with Chinese language packs. I don't know if that matters, really.
          Also, all the other applications (AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc) on my pc works fine with Chinese file names. Its just 3ds Max that can't handle it.

Comment

Working...
          X