Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single frame and saved output differ in gamma/lighting

Hi guys,

Not sure what is going on here. I render a single frame and it matches the viewport pretty accurately which is basically all I need for this project. When I render out to backburner and it saves the file the gamma and shading look completely different. I am only rendering to the standard 3dsmax buffer... Gamma control is off. I have tried both vray renderer and the standard scanline renderer without any luck..

Any ideas what is going wrong.. I have attached an image showing the differences.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

This definitely looks like a gamma issue. I know you said you checked, if so, this is really strange!
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

Comment

I know..very wierd. Ive been using max for a long time and not experienced this issue before. Normally, what I render out to the frame buffer renders out to the final saved output. Im at a loss of what to do.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Can you post a stripped down version of the file? Maybe another set of eyes may help track down the problem.
        Midwest Studios

Comment

I cant post a stripped down version as this is a ongoing project, but it is basically a scene that uses the scanline renderer and has simple white materials.

The strange thing is, it is only when I send the render to backburner it comes out very dark. When I render from my main computer without net render and save the frames..everything is fine. Its almost like the gamma or settings for the render nodes are incorrect for the scene...
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Yikes! I have not had that problem yet! I frequently have to send older projects to our farm with backburner and the nodes always seem to be able to switch just fine. Is there a way you could send me a part of the file with some temp geometry that still exhibits this behavior and I could test it out on our farm and see if I can track it down. That is just plain strange!
            Midwest Studios

Comment

Will do Troy. Will get the scene uploaded later on today..cheers for the help
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

No worries...I am sure I will need help and would like to know that others would help me out!
                Midwest Studios

Comment

Ran into this, you can specify (Can't remeber where exactly though) That Gamma settings be included with the file it's self when it's sent to render. IF it doesn't work there might be a permissions issue on the render machine preventing it from working...
                  Two heads are better than one ...
                  ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

I had to output the renders on a single (main) computer as I couldnt resolve this. Luckily it was the scanline renderer and not a complicated scene. I did end up adding lights to the scene and not just having default lights and not tested yet if that made any difference. Will check this out to see if that helps. Sorry I havent been able to upload the file yet ive just been so busy.
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

What version of Max is this in?
                      | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

max 2010. Not tested in max 2011
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment