Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max 8 and Windows 7

Dont ask, its a very long story.

Looking to see if anyone is running max 8.x on Windows 7 successfully? I installed it. I installed it and everything went fine but when I try to open it it seems to load fine and then just after it gets the main GUI loaded it hangs and does nothing. Ive tried running under administrator and or compatibility mode... and still hangs with no obvious errors coming up... Anyone else running this combo and working or can I give up with the task that has been assigned to me to get this running :S

TIA,

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

UGH! This is going to be a pretty tall order. I remember having a fairly rough go with Max9 and Windows 7. I think I still have my Max8 disc around here somewhere I could try and install it and give it a go. I am assuming that you are running Windows 7 Pro 64bit?

I would start with compatibility mode, like you mentioned and make sure that you run Max with the software display driver instead of the DirectX or OpenGL.

If I HAD to use Max8, I would NOT leave XP. But that is just my 10 cents.
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

Comment

I don't think it will work; best to use XP for this.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it sorted out late last night by dropping in a new video card :S dont know how that would affect it but it had a 7800GTX and dropped in a 8800GXT for sh!ts n giggles and OMG it worked lol. Its not my workstation, its actually for my fathers workstation and Im trying like mad to get him in to max 2010. Anyway its all good now and running great.

Thanks again,

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Oh and Im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on that box
          Cheers,
          -dave

Comment

Hm, interesting; I was trying to get 3ds Max 8 running on Vista, but I never managed to get it working. Maybe should try the view card too

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

LOL yea Im not sure why the card made a difference unless it was actually bad but the 8800gtx and new video driver seemed to help. going to run more test tonight hopefully but all seems well and all that I have for start up OS options are run as admin, and don't have compatibility on.

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave

Comment

Working...
              X