Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Male Head Sculpt

Hey guys,
    I'm working on a head sculpt in zbrush and wanted some critique. It's just an average male head, nothing terribly specific. But I'm working through the anatomy and wanted some comments on my facial/neck anatomy.

Thanks guys,
    Colin

Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_01_front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	869738Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_01_side.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	869739Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_01_back.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	869740

Check Page 2 for more

Name:	Head_test_02_threeQuarter_SSS2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	869761Click image for larger version

Name:	Head_test_02_SSS2_Shader.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	869762
    Last edited by MoonDoggie; 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM.
    Colin Senner

Looks great! Maybe the neck is a little long?
    Last edited by mike_kennedy; 13-05-2010, 10:42 AM.
    Two heads are better than one ...
    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

looks nice colin. The nose looks too large for the mouth. Or maybe its the other way round.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Yeah, now that you mention it, the mouth is too small. The neck looks alright, but It's definitely close to being too long.
        Colin Senner

Comment

Colin,

I like the design of your character, I think it just needs a little more definition here and there. I highly recommend you check out ZBrush Character Creation by Scott Spencer. It's a great book on ZBrush technique and it specifically covers anatomy of the head and neck. It couldn't be more perfect for what you are trying to do. It also covers techniques for color and for getting the subtle skin detail in the face, neck, etc.
          Steve Burke
          www.burkestudios.com

Comment

Hey Steve, thanks for the reference. I will check it out and pick one up on Amazon Many thanks.
            Colin Senner

Comment

Found it and picked it up for $30. Thanks again
              Colin Senner

Comment

Hey Colin,

Great start! I'm trying to seriously study anatomy myself & it's a real kick up the arse about just how little I know!

First thing that leapt out to me was the shape of his skull. I've done a very crude sketch of how I would see the skull of your character based from the profile view & the shape you currently have looks too low for a human cranium.

Also, your ears are looking very flat at the moment. While every ear is different, they often curve through more than one axis. Which makes them a pain in the arse to model BUT it also makes them more visually interesting/appealing.

For general advice on top of that, try to secure the major landmarks as quickly as you can. Not by doing things fast, but by trying to capture the form at the lowest subdivisions you can & avoiding adding too much detail until the very last step.

A big eye opener for me has been studying, learning & replicating the planes of the face. Not only will it help you understand the layout & general proportion of features, it will also help you to develop a good shorthand when trying to capture a likeness (in 2d or 3d).

http://philippefaraut.com/store/reference-casts.html
                http://www.planesofthehead.com/about.php

Also, make sure you're not just working from the front & side. It's really easy to keep locked into one view for too long, so always try & check your model from many angles as often as possible.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Look forward to seeing some more!

Cheers,

AJ
                MDI Digital
                moonjam

Comment

Good to hear. I am pretty sure you will love the book. It really helped me understand all of the crazy workings of ZBrush. It's an absolute bargain for $30.

AJ, those are good links, interesting stuff.
                  Steve Burke
                  www.burkestudios.com

Comment

This is so interesting im wishing i could remember this investigative show i saw on the learning channel how a (sketch analyst ), would reconstruct faces in dead bodies. It was simply amazing how close they were when they would figure out the identity of the person. Stunning how the details in the skull provided them enough information to extract the persons face detail. Cool Thread.
                    Ruben Gil
                    www.spvisionz.com
                    www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

I just picked up Scott Spencers book. Its very good. Seems like from the front he looks like Picard but from the side he looks like a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_23 View Post
                        Hey Colin,

Great start! I'm trying to seriously study anatomy myself & it's a real kick up the arse about just how little I know!

First thing that leapt out to me was the shape of his skull. I've done a very crude sketch of how I would see the skull of your character based from the profile view & the shape you currently have looks too low for a human cranium.

Also, your ears are looking very flat at the moment. While every ear is different, they often curve through more than one axis. Which makes them a pain in the arse to model BUT it also makes them more visually interesting/appealing.

For general advice on top of that, try to secure the major landmarks as quickly as you can. Not by doing things fast, but by trying to capture the form at the lowest subdivisions you can & avoiding adding too much detail until the very last step.

A big eye opener for me has been studying, learning & replicating the planes of the face. Not only will it help you understand the layout & general proportion of features, it will also help you to develop a good shorthand when trying to capture a likeness (in 2d or 3d).

http://philippefaraut.com/store/reference-casts.html
                        http://www.planesofthehead.com/about.php

Also, make sure you're not just working from the front & side. It's really easy to keep locked into one view for too long, so always try & check your model from many angles as often as possible.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Look forward to seeing some more!

Cheers,

AJ
                        AJ, thanks for taking the time to dissect it a bit. I'll work on those changes and repost today.
                        Colin Senner

Comment

Fixed the skull anatomy. Many thanks. As you all know staring at this stuff too long you miss things that should have been evident. This problem was because I was working using 2 different heads for reference, and they came together incorrectly

Take a look now and please critique. Next step is getting it in Max and working out a nice skin shader and lighting using vray!

Name:	wip_02_side.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	842997Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_02_back.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	842998Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_02_threeQuarter.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	842999Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_02_threeQuarter_Textured.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	843000Click image for larger version

Name:	wip_02_front.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	843001
                          Colin Senner

Comment

Here are some semi-early lighting tests. Comments and critique please.

First is a normal VrayMtl shader, second is SSS2. Trying to get better results with SSS, but I can't use my displacement with SSS, which kind of sucks.

(Does anyone know where those artifacts are coming from on the last render?)

All of these are completely raw renders, no post.

Name:	Head_test_02_VrayMtl_Shader.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	843004Click image for larger version

Name:	Head_test_02_SSS2_Shader.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	843005Click image for larger version

Name:	Head_test_02_threeQuarter_SSS2.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	843006Click image for larger version

Name:	Head_test_02_Side_SSS2.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	843007
                            Last edited by MoonDoggie; 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM.
                            Colin Senner

Comment

Vlado, what are the artifacts I'm getting on the side render posted above? I'll post my material setup in a sec.
                              Colin Senner

Comment

Working...
                              X