Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max 2011 & Ribbon: New icon, toolbar, color and TAB

Hi all,

as you know, some user don't like Ribbon. So, this is my modified 3ds max 2011 UI:

(*) Add a icon to PolyTools Macro. Why AD don't do that??!
    (*) Add a new sets of Toolbar. 3 for PolyTools, one for Polydraw, one for PolyPaint
    (*) Add a new TAB UI with the same configuration similar to the Polytools Toolbar
    (*) Add "file" menu. Why AD delete this menu in the DEFAULT UI?
    (*) Add color for Icon
    (*) Add 3 new icon on the main toolbar to change Ribobn orientation ad ON/OFF big Ribbon Tooltip.

Many thank to timharker!!!

DOWNLOAD

YEAHHH!!!

www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
    Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

I didn't understand clearly what is going on but I will check it. I upgraded to 2011 from 2009 recently and I couldn't figure out the best usage of ribbon.
    I tried to customise it but customisig it looks very complicated with so many details, seperators , breaks... I have to dedicate some amount of time for this so I just stopped and thought I can make it some other time.
    Honestly I like the minimal, simple old way of customising UI , that is still valid for customising toolbars.
    for my blog and tutorials:
    www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

ooooo this look s very useful thanks for sharing!!!!
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

thank .. look very useful

Davis
        Originally posted by 3DMK
        do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

I'm happy you like my UI
          Anyway, sometime we need to open ribbon (and every time waiting some second, see our 3dsd max UI flashing etc... due to some input numeric value grrr....
          But with my toolbar you can play with a lot of Polytools stuff without open any Ribbon

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
            I didn't understand clearly what is going on but I will check it. I upgraded to 2011 from 2009 recently and I couldn't figure out the best usage of ribbon.
            During max2011 event, i had a chance to talk with one of the big managers of autodesk. and I said, autodesk is forcing users to go with their decisions about UI and max but for old users know how to use max and they know what they want. I can understand the user interface changes up to some level but at least give a chance for old users to rol back old UI and tools. .. his answer was simple. I was so romantic I understood, I am getting old for this business

Thanks cecofuli, it looks good
            --Muzzy--

Comment

Ok, new user can learn to use the Ribbon (bad practice IMO). Much more better use a Quad, shortcut and Toolbar. 100x fast that this Elephant Ribbon.

But, we know that ribbon is not the best UI in the world, especially in a 3d software like 3ds max.
              It's just e new place to substitute the good old toolbar? Ok, but leave us the possibility to build our toolbar. I don't know, for example, why AD don't associated by default and icon to Polytools macro. and the icons are in the 3ds max directory!!!.
              This behavior is very stupid for a company like AD. Like a "spite"...

Another TIPS:

Put this in your 3dsmax.ini under
              [WindowState]
              WindowOrder=8

And see the Comand Panel behavior Much better, no? Less Emty space.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

I think making compulsory interface changes causes slow-down in workflow of professional (here I use this term as fluent,master, old-time users) any software.
                I believe any serious change in interface should be optional for the user.
                www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

I agree with Francesco on the part about using the quad menu and short cuts. I pretty much spend most of my time in any software learning the short cuts so that I am not so tied to a specific interface. IMHO the interface is only there to access tools that aren't used on a very regular basis. I usually put as much stuff in the quad menu as I can and make heavy use of the "alternate" quad menus for different types of tasks. I tend to move the mouse a LOT less and in general just seems easier than trying to click through all the menus when they are spread across 2 24" monitors. My arms/wrist would get tired moving around all day.

As a side note: I have always wondered what would make a "proper" interface for any complex package like Max? I know that there are many who didn't like the old interface and many who don't like the new ribbon. So what would your ideas be? Asking mostly because I am curious and wonder if anyone else has any tips or tricks they use to help increase their productivity.

EDIT: I forgot to thank Francesco for sharing his UI updates with the community. I have just started getting 2011 setup and will take this option for a spin and see how I like it. Thanks!
                  Last edited by Donald2B; 06-05-2010, 06:02 AM. Reason: Thanks Francesco for sharing his ui!
                  Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

Hello Cecofuli,
                    ( I tried to send PM but your inbox is full and I didn't know what to do other than writing here)
                    I see on CGNetworks that you complain about that yellow circle/snaps too. I am so unhappy abot this circle because I can't anymore snap in 2.5D.
                    There was a 60 page thread about max 2011 but I could only spend time to read the whole thread next week. So I just wanted to ask you if you have found any kind of way to disable this new snap and return back to old one OR to find a way to work with it?
                    I will be very happy to know it.
                    Best Wishes
                    www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                      I agree with Francesco on the part about using the quad menu and short cuts. I pretty much spend most of my time in any software learning the short cuts so that I am not so tied to a specific interface. IMHO the interface is only there to access tools that aren't used on a very regular basis. I usually put as much stuff in the quad menu as I can and make heavy use of the "alternate" quad menus for different types of tasks. I tend to move the mouse a LOT less and in general just seems easier than trying to click through all the menus when they are spread across 2 24" monitors. My arms/wrist would get tired moving around all day.

As a side note: I have always wondered what would make a "proper" interface for any complex package like Max? I know that there are many who didn't like the old interface and many who don't like the new ribbon. So what would your ideas be? Asking mostly because I am curious and wonder if anyone else has any tips or tricks they use to help increase their productivity.

EDIT: I forgot to thank Francesco for sharing his UI updates with the community. I have just started getting 2011 setup and will take this option for a spin and see how I like it. Thanks!
                      I totally agree and I use keyboard most of the time too.
                      What I mean is changing main things. For example the new snap thing in 2011 makes me very unhappy.
                      It shouldn't be so easy to change such an important feature because our workflow depends so much on this.
                      www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
                        I totally agree and I use keyboard most of the time too.
                        What I mean is changing main things. For example the new snap thing in 2011 makes me very unhappy.
                        It shouldn't be so easy to change such an important feature because our workflow depends so much on this.
                        This snap stuff reminds me of when Max 9 (?) made some changes to how snaps worked. It looks like I might need to start testing 2011 sooner rather than later so minor issues like this don't become major issues. Thanks for the heads up.
                        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                        Midwest Studios

Comment

Cecofuli:
                          hmm just unzipped the downloaded file with the new UI, but am a bit disoriented...
                          there are about 7 UI files with the same name but different data size...what shoudl i do with all of them ?
                          how do i get it all to work??? tried to follow the link on the cgsociety but that did not help..
                          Could you explain shortly how to installl this?
                          Sorry for my ignorance in this case....))

best regards
                          Martin

Comment

Copy al UI zip directory in the UI 3ds max directory

Next:

CUSTOMIZE - Load Custom UI scheme -> and select "Toolbar_Ribbon_Tabbed_Toolbar.ui"

In this way all 3ds max customization is from the Toolbar_Ribbon_Tabbed_Toolbar.* file.
                            Why 7 file?

one for toolbar, one for shortkey, one for color etc...
                            If you don't want override your shortkey, only load the Toolbar_Ribbon_Tabbed_Toolbar.cui.

How?

Customize -> Customize UI -> and load the file you need.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

thanks...i had the file extension missing in my explorer, so it looked like 7 identical files!

Cheers!
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X