Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organic modelling help

Hello,

Anyone got any ideas on how to model something like the attached image? It will be used as balustrade for a staircase.
    I will need a CAD drawing at the end of the day to output so I can make the thing.
    I can draw something by hand using my tablet but I would like to go home again this year!
    Any bright ideas on how to make this parametric or automate it to a certain extent?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8d9baa8b-66f4-44ae-a165-7c0a39984daf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	869773

Geoff
    www.EeDesign.co.uk

Nothing super easy imo. You could create some good opacity maps to do it (Maybe try a variance of a cellular map to do it procedurally). Otherwise, good old spline drawing is probably your best bet. Any other thoughts?
    Colin Senner

Comment

http://designreform.net/2009/02/3ds-...exagon-screen/

A tutorial about modeling an hexagon screen.. mabee this technique with a few random variations...
      Alain Blanchette
      www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Where is that image? Is that the house in Japan?

Comment

Thanks for tips.
          @Moondoggie, I think textures are out as I need a mesh to fabricate the balustrade (unless you can turn a bitmap into a mesh?). Splines maybe the only option
          @theblanch. Thanks for the link. I will mess around with that technique to get a more random effect.

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
          Where is that image? Is that the house in Japan?
          Airspace Tokyo by Faulders studio
          www.EeDesign.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
            Thanks for tips.
            (unless you can turn a bitmap into a mesh?). Splines maybe the only option
            Try using a bitmap to Vector conversion program [Adobe illustrator, corel draw, etc] to turn a bitmap into splines. Then you can import the vector format into max...extrude & done!

Cheers

Comment

When I first started working as a Cad draughtsman (Cad monkey), we often received large, A1 hand drawn plans which we scanned and then used a program like Scan2Cad or something similar. It would convert line drawings into cad drawings. Not absolutely foolproof, but things have possibly moved on a bit from 15 years ago! Have a look. You could then use the above mentioned methods to generate it procedurally and output high resolution 'elevational renders' which you could feed through the software.

http://www.scan2cad.com/
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket
              ----------------------------------->
              http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

I'd make 3 different maps and polymodel over them - assuming it's going to be a 3 layer thing like the photo.

You wouldnt have to do too big an area either, just have 3 different tiling sizes and they'll never overlap.

Still wouldnt be a very quick way of doing it though.

Comment

I have played a bit more. I leaning towards the drawing it CAD monkey style which seems to be going ok. Tedious though! I am having issues extruding the mesh. A 3m by 1m panel with 100 odd holes it crashes max. I'll keep playing

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Some techniques I can use on less random stuff very nicely! I'll post some images when I'm done.

Geoff
                  www.EeDesign.co.uk

Comment

Took a while but found a satisfactory technique.
                    I used the method in the video that thablanch found. The 'trick' was to have a random mesh to start off with.
                    Using Voronoi Cells script of scriptspot I was able to get the random looking mesh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fraser-dorset-03-05a.jpg
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	843033Click image for larger version

Name:	fraser-dorset-03-05b.jpg
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	843032Click image for larger version

Name:	fraser-dorset-03-05c.jpg
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	843031

Apologies for the ropey looking renders. Time is money and all that!
                    Thanks for all your help

Geoff
                    www.EeDesign.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X