No announcement yet.

Most popular stereoscopic format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just heard back and Corel said they could NOT create circular polarized 3d movies. So I'm back to square one.
    www.rayduststudios.com

Comment

lol http://pc.astro.brandeis.edu/BRAG/MO...EMO/NODE5.HTML

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=322430
      Last edited by Da_elf; 23-09-2011, 12:46 PM.

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

It was that obvious and I couldn't see it, so embarrassed...
        www.rayduststudios.com

Comment

K right... Some1 wana dump it down for me ? ^^

Also off topic question - is it possible to control the strength of 3d? Like 3d to 2d to 3d transition like micheal bay mention some time ago ? - how?
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I have 3 stereo monitors, 3 or 4 VR head sets, a bunch of stereo stills and video cameras, 3ds, EVO 3D, 55" Panasonic 3D TV, a few 3d digital picture frames and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about. I also work at a studio that makes 3d movies where we have a real-d screening room and a Dolby 3d screening room. And I have been creating 3d images as a hobbyist for something like 25+ years.

So here's my 2 cents:
            - You can not render in polarized 3d since that is a display method. It would be like saying "how do I render in LCD , Plasma or CRT?"
            - The best thing to do is render left and right eye images and from there you can output to any 3d format.
            - Once you have left and right images you need to find out what format you need your images/movies to be in to be displayed correctly and output them for that device
            - The most important thing to keep in mind is the size of the screen and seating position your 3d images/movie will be displayed

Go check this tutorial out at the autodesk AREA for important info on screen size, viewer position and why it is important:
            http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/stereoscopy_tutorial

I don't use his script much but the information is simple and easy digest. Plus you can use the script he provides to make things even easier.

The stereoscopic video player I use most of the time which supports almost every 3d format and display out there:
            http://3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

The free image viewer and 3d image editing software:
            http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

The same person who does the image viewer/editor also has a bunch of other free 3d related software:
            http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/index.html

Using the above software and 3d work flow (always creating full left and right images) I have been able to view my 3d images and video on every device and display I have come accross so far. I have put the same movies on youtube, a real-d screening room, Hyundai 3d monitor, Panasonic 3d tv, a 3d phone, 2d monitors, viewmaster (the toy) and even printed on paper.

I think the biggest thing to take away is to try and check out the tutorial above, target your 3d rendering setup for the screen size(s) as best you can and render full left and right images so you can easily convert your images to be displayed on any device.

I hope that helps and I don't just sound like a big wanker.
            t1t4
            www.boring3d.com

Comment

Maybe I should also mention I use Vray RT in my my Hyundai 3d monitor in stereo all the time.

Hyundai monitor is circular polarized 3d. It displays it in interlaced mode. Basically every other line is polarized for left eye then right eye and so on. You lose 1/2 the resolution vertically and it can introduce some stereo artifacts but I love these monitors because the don't require any drivers for basic 3d display and the glasses are dirt cheap and work well.

So in Vray RT I set the 3d mode to interlaced and hit render/start and away I go in stereo 3d. One catch is that to be able to adjust where the screen plane is in relation to objects in the scene you need to enable the DOF option in the standard vray renderer and either set it to camera focus distance or manually set the distance you would like. I use the camera focus distance so I can interactively change where the screen plane and object are by moving the camera and the camera target. I also usually set the DOF setting very small so I don't have to deal with the heavy blur calculations while working.

Once I have what I want out of Vray RT I mostly use the vray stereo camera modifier to render and output 3d frames from the standard vray renderer. I have no standard settings because it varries greatly depending on what I'm doing and the intended display size(s).
              t1t4
              www.boring3d.com

Comment

t1t4,

- You can not render in polarized 3d since that is a display method. It would be like saying "how do I render in LCD , Plasma or CRT?"

AHHH I see, makes sense now.

I've watched the videos on AREA and they are all for anaglyph not Polarization but this is what I understand so far:

In order to make a polarized 3d movie to play on a 3dtv at a tradeshow booth I need:

Hardware
                A) A PASSIVE 3dtv
                B) Circular polarized Glasses
                C) ANY type of BluRay player so long as it a 3D BluRay player.

Production:
                A) Frames rendered out in a "sidebyside" format
                B) Take those frames and create a movie
                C) Burn the movie to BluRay Disk

If this is correct then the missing step for me is between the time I have the frames and the burning of the disk. I just can't burn frames and I'm still unsure of what movie format to create. I have watched the videos on anaglyph but this is not anaglyph, it's polarized. I see how they combine the left and right images but what is the technique for polarized? Or...... is it the same?????? Do I create the movie just like it is for anaglyph? Can I do it in AfterEffects?

Am I missing something obvious or am I just a numbskull?

Thanks for you help, and patience

Andrius
                Last edited by andrius; 26-09-2011, 01:45 PM.
                www.rayduststudios.com

Comment

Well I just finished the project and now have a better understanding of what needs to be done in order to achieve what I wanted to. In case you are all interested here's the breakdown:

1) Bought a 3d monitor (LG D2342P-PN 23-Inch Widescreen Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor)
                  2) Upgraded to Vray 2
                  3) Rendered out a side by side animation (1280 wide x 2 = 2560, so frames were 2560x720)
                  4) Opened up AfterEffects and imported the frames then take the 2560 x 720 and scale it down to 1280 x 720. Frames will look squished.
                  5) Rendered it out to a quicktime animation format movie.
                  6) Opened up Adobe Encore and burned a BluRay disc of it
                  7) Take the BluRay disc to a setup that has a BluRay 3d set top player and a Passive 3D television
                  Set the 3D tv to view as side by side (very important)
                  9) Put on glasses and hit play

It's that simple.

Anyways, thank you all for the help!

Best,
                  Andrius
                  www.rayduststudios.com

Comment

awesome! does anyone know about Infitec glasses? The Dobly 3D glasses. I want to know if the workflow above is the same or if I need to buy special monitors or projectors.

Comment

so rendering FOR polorised, not IN polorised, is rendering it side by side and the projectors in the theater will know what to do with it?

---------------------------------------------------
                      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

That's how it should work. Well mostly. Side by side is not always the format needed. The main things is to render out two full images (left and right) then you can put them in any format needed.

Side by side is pretty common but I'm sure there are sytems out there that do over/under, mirrored, alternating fanes and so on. But if you have both images you will be able to convert it to any format needed.

I think blu-ray and current 3d tvs usually support side by side (but squahed so each frame is 1/2 the screen width) or over/under (possibly called frame packing) and I think maybe alternating frames but I'm not totally clear if that is supported or not. Here is a little info I found with a quick search.
                        http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-vs-broadcast/

But once agian if you render out both full left and right frames you can easily convert to any format you want if needed. Doesn't really matter if you render full side by side or full over/under or seperate left and right since you have full left and right images in the end.

Of course I have saved render time in the past by rendering at the 1/2 width side by side since it was for my TV which is easies to playback side by side squezzed 3d video on. It is a good time saving method if you are sure you wont need to change th format at any point.
                        t1t4
                        www.boring3d.com

Comment

Is there anyway to bypass the Blu-ray player? I have a new Samsung 3D tv, so could I in theory plug my laptop in via HDMI and possibly set the tv to play that feed in 3D? Or do you have to have a player that combines the side by side images?

Thanks for all the great insight so far.

Comment

You can bypass the bluray player entirely by using your laptop's HDMI out feed. You just need to check what kind of format your Samsung TV is expecting (probably side by side) and generate your video in that way. The TV will have a "3D mode ON" and in the settings you just need to adjust it to "side by side" and it will show a stereoscopic image. I've done it many times with panasonics but I assume it must be the same for all consumer tvs out there.
                            My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                            Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                            Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Working...
                            X