ATI radeon video cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI radeon video cards

I just got a new laptop(Alienware) and the only option for graphic cards was Ati Radeon... I was wondering if ATI video cards can be used like Nvidia GPU renderings...I read with opencl will do it or I do have to get a new video card? any idea?

Thanks,

Fernando

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English
    VIDEO CARD Dual 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX™
    LCD PANEL 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
    MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 4GB DDR3)
    HARD DRIVE 500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
    show me the money!!

If the GPU renderer uses CUDA no,
    but Quick Silver supports ATI cards, that's a fairly fast card too.
    Not sure if VRAY RT GPU supports OPEN CL or not but and renderer that supports Open CL should support ATI cards.
    CUDA is more common but OPEN CL catching up slowly and is Cross Platform and hardware agnostic.
    Two heads are better than one ...
    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Thanks Mike,
      I'm going to wait until Vray RT GPU come up to see if I should change the video cards or not. The laptop was expensive then i don't want to put more money if i don't have too!!.
      I've been looking for laptops with 1920x1200 screen with I7 proccessors and i couldn't find good ones....the most part of them have 1080p. Dell changes their products, now only precisions and Alienware have 1200p which are 4k laptops. and precision only comes with Quadro Video cards that increase price for a lot!!

Fernando
      show me the money!!

Comment

I am guessing most will support both cards at some point since the latest fermi cards seem to be running really hot and won't be in many lap tops or rack mounts.....
        Two heads are better than one ...
        ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
        X