revit vs max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revit vs max

For modeling architecture, i currently use a combination of autocad and max. I import the cad linework into max and build the elevations (walls) in max like they build tilt-ups. i build each elevation laying down then rotate them up and pop them into place on the floor plans. When the simple stuff is finished then i use other max tools.

I'm wondering if i should be looking into Revit for architectural modeling. I'm aware that many (most) architecture offices require their people to know revit to do their working drawings so if i ever make the move to go back into an architecture office then it wouldn't be a waste of time.
    Any thoughts?
    mh

Well the whole idea with Revit is to get away from the cad linework, because they are building a 3d model to start with instead of just drawing linework (of course the linework can be generated from the 3d model later then). I don't use Revit myself but am surrounded by our company's Revit support team. I'm not sure how it would work strictly as a modeler, I imagine you would be dealing with a lot of overhead if you were really just looking for geometry and not all of the BIM data that comes along with the Revit model. Technically though you can import 3d linework into Revit and model off of it, so I suppose it would work in theory. I'm not sure that it would be faster than your existing workflow, but you would wind up with a more "intelligent" model at least.

If you think you would get back into the design side of things instead of visualization, I'd suggest doing it just so you can learn Revit; not necessarily because it makes more sense from a visualization perspective.
    | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

So far I've only ended up using Revit models as a base, and remodeling them in Max; too many inherit issues to deal with. From what I've seen from a few of our consultants who've been using Revit for years now, the majority of the data is still in 2D.

Go with what works best for you, although if an opportunity to learn Revit pops up go for it. It never hurts to have another tool under your belt.

Comment

because i 've had such poor experience with "linked" stuff in the past, i was thinking of only using it for it's modeling aspects and then importing an unlinked 3d model into max to finish it off. In my case, since i do housing where there are hundreds of the models scattered around a site, it seems like linking would be out of the question.
        My workflow is to build an accurate site from the earthwork model generated by an earthwork software called "Agtek", bring that into Max, adjust it and fine tune it in max, populate it with plants and buildings and then render it or animate a drive thru or fly over.
        mh

Comment

Modeling in Revit is fast but you will have to take the model to refine it....modelling for construction documents is not the same as visualization modelling because of that you would have to create your own standard to optimize the model as well as the components (doors, windows, cabinets, etc)....in my own experience Sketchup is the fastest tool for architectural modelling but it gets a little challenging for organic shapes ( i use Rhino for that).
          show me the money!!

Comment

I agree with Flino - we use Revit in the office and it makes for a really fast base and you can do quick drafts almost painlessly. But once you want a detailed model its best done with a combination of Revit and Max. At this point I see no reason not to incorporate Revit as part of a viz workflow.

Comment

I switched from AutoCAD to Revit a couple of years ago and have not looked back. For architectural drawings (plans, sections, elevations, perspectives) Revit is awesome. For creating 3d renderings in Max, the imported models from Revit will have a few limitations. Revit is great for big things like walls, floors, doors, windows, etc... but is not so great for small details like door knobs, faucets, furniture, etc. So you could use Revit to model the structure, but for all the details and complicated objects (appliances, furniture, trees, cars, people, etc) you would have to use 3ds Max. Another thing to keep in mind, is that Revit is great for rectilinear stuff, 90ยบ angles, but anything else, like curves or tilted walls is not as easy and sometimes requires annoying workarounds.

Comment

Working...
              X