Cs5 Mercury Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cs5 Mercury Engine

My Standard Workflow for animations was to get the rendered frames directly into After effects and do all the rest of the work there including the cutting.
    Now i have tried out Premiere cs5 with the new mercury playback engine that is using nvidias cuda GPU acceleration.
    The speed is simply incredible.
    I can get realtime playback of several Full hd Layers with transitions and color corrections.
    When you are finished you can send the whole project over to After Effects without Rendering.
    It creates a new composition with all the Cuts and Effects pointing to the original source material.
    But i only do that anymore if i need z-depth effects or some complex compositing.
    It won't work with any ATI cards and you have to do some ini file editing if your NVIDIA Card is not Certified by Adobe, but thats very easy to do.
    You can send the premiere hd output fullscreen to your second Monitor while editing.
    Anyone else here tried this out?
    I have a GTX 285 Card.
    I wonder what would happens if i upgrade to the newer cards like a 480.
    Is there still any difference to a high end system like Flame?
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Really? Are they sequential frames that you're importing into Premiere CS5? We've had problems with very spotty, slow playback...worse than CS3. It's encouraging to hear that you've had success- I'm looking forward to hearing how! We have Quadro FX 3800's on BOXX i7 3.33GHz workstations w/ 12gigs of ram.

Eric.

Comment

Originally posted by tammo View Post
      I wonder what would happens if i upgrade to the newer cards like a 480.
      Will you use the same computer for Max and AE???

What OS are you using ???

Do not...I repeat DO NOT use windows 7 & GTX 480 & 3ds max together.......the drivers are soo bad you will throw all your hard earned money away.
      Not sure about windows XP though, as I am stuck with the 480 & Windows 7 so I can use AE 64 bit [AE 64 won't support XP64 OS]

Hope this helps

Comment

I just tried it again with sequential PNG frames and i get the slow playback that you described.
        My first tests have been with Full-HD 50 FPS footage from a camera.
        The question is if my harddisk is simpy to slow to load those single frames in realtime.
        It would be nice if someone with an SSD could try that.
        Until then i will have to get my frames into a container before editing.

I am using windows7 64Bit.
        Performance in max is good if i turn of backface cull.

Thanks for the warning,
        i will wait until they get the driver issues sorted before i upgrade to an 480.
        Last edited by tammo; 12-07-2010, 02:55 AM.
        Reflect, repent and reboot.
        Order shall return.

Comment

We've been talking with them and it's a bug...they're working it but there's no solution yet~

The thing that tipped me off was the fact that the same exact file plays back fine in CS3...

Eric.

Comment

Working...
          X