Graphic Cards comparison chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Cards comparison chart

There is a new graphics card comparison chart on cgarchitect.com.

It looks like it doesn't matter which Card you buy, because the underlying max viewport architecture is using the CPU. That explains why you get such a huge performance boost if you disable viewport culling in wireframe mode. The CPU has to do all those line visibility tests.

"Looking more closely at the viewport modes however shows that there is very little difference between any cards regardless of manufacturer or model. Unfourtunately due to the underlying architecture of 3ds Max, the graphics pipeline is bound heavily by the CPU which prevents it from taking full advantage of the GPU...
    Based on its ability to outperform on the Tunnel test, my recommendation would be for the GeForce GTX480 card"
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

By viewport culling, do you mean "backface culling" on objects or the "zbuffer wireframe objects" option in the viewport settings?

I'm guessing the first.
    Signing out,
    Christian

Comment

Backface Culling in wireframe mode.
      I guess the CPU Viewport Engine has to trace every line-pixel to the Camera through the models in Order to check its visibility as if there faces visible.
      If its turned off it just draws all the lines from vertex to vertex and its a lot faster.
      I think the GPU has some advanced occlusion detection methods but they don't seem to be used in wireframe mode.
      Maybe its different with Quadro boards and their optimised drivers for max?
      Reflect, repent and reboot.
      Order shall return.

Comment

With the newer technology and the move to DirectX, it is basically faster for the video card to process all the polys and NOT worry about backface culling.

I had a LOT of great conversations with the folks from nVidia and Autodesk about the video cards and 3DS Max. 3DS Max is starting to push more information on to the GPU than they have in the past. This will require a nicer video card, but not necessarily a Quadro card.

nVidia told me that while the GPU on the GTX480 is identical to that of the Quadro cards. That is the only similarity. The cards are physically different and have very different layouts and extra features. Additionally, Quadro cards are never value engineered by vendors to hit a specific price point, since most companies rarely use the exact components found on the nVidia Sample card. There are many, many differences and I was really surprised by all of them.

Now I am not saying that a GTX480 is better or worse than a Quadro 5000. I am just saying that they are different and targeted at completely different groups. I found it to be a very fascinating conversation with one of the engineers and you really can't believe everything you read on the internet.

I did enjoy the article on CGArchitect, though the only problem I had is that the testers were using a cracked copy of Windows 7 which I personally have problems with. Lame!
        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
        Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
        X