Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new12 core machine very slow in max scene prep/writing registry entries/unzipping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new12 core machine very slow in max scene prep/writing registry entries/unzipping...

hi

we have a new machine here with 12 cores (24 HT) and we have massive problems with the speed of everything...

the machine was rendering for some weeks with the 12 real cores, cause we had no time to update the backburnermanager with the new hotfix that is adressing the 3dsmax 16 core problem...so this machine could not render with 24 cores...
    but also with this configuration (HT disabled) the computer was very slow in max scene preperation, writing registry entries while installing hotfix for example or even with unzipping a cinebench zip file...it need ages for doing these things...(normal computer need some seconds to unzip...this machine about 2 minutes)

cinebench brings good results with testing the cpu...10.8...

any idea what can cause this...
    the producer of the computer -XImachines- says only idea they have is that there are 2,5 inch drives (raid) are build in...hmmm...

thanks for any idea

thomes

Maybe your unzip utility isn't multithreaded. Try Winrar or the .rar format instead. Maybe the scene prep functions in 3dsmax are not multithreaded. If it drops to one core it will seem much slower than normal if your clockspeed is 2.4 GHz or lower. You can use HDTune to test the speed of your hard disks.... they should read/write at least 100MB/sec to "feel fast". If the RAID is built for redundancy instead of speed you'll find out with HDTune. Good luck.
    Last edited by scottsch; 11-08-2010, 06:22 AM.

Comment

thanks scottsch for the tip

first it´s the windows7 unzipper...and if i do it here at my 8core it runs in about 25 seconds on one core with global cpu usage of about 13 percent...there it needs about 3 minutes.

and what i said wrong....the writing registry entries is not slow, it is i think normal speed, but it does not end od does the same entries as it seem more than one time (it seems like this, cause if you look very concetrated it seem that the same values appear more often...so on the other machines it installs in about 30 seconds there it needs about 15 minutes...

everything seems to go 8 times slower...

the test with hdtune did not give much of interesting news...maxspeed is about 83...and many informations (firmware version/buffer) it cannot read out cause it is a raid1 system...so for example it said it is PIO mode...
      so they wand to try out new 3.5 inch hd...they think it gets better with them...i don´t believe it...

on the left side the XI on the right mine...

thanks
      thomes

Comment

Working...
      X