• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac G5- 64-bit Desktop!?!

Don't know if anybody here use a Mac, probably not with Vray

Might already have heard about this. I don't know, I found it interesting

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/c..._interview.htm

interesting is that APPLE mislead customers with cheated benchmarks.

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/
    http://www.aceshardware.com/#75000384
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1136018,00.asp

Comment

I dont find it interesting that they Apple mislead people at all. Anyone will do anything to get ahead in that business

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

You should know that very well Percey....

There is a company that sounds like seabass that makes similar claims.

As a user there are only a couple of ways that I like the information given to me.

The first is from users that have used the soft/hardware. Or from the press that will try to give a well rounded review. When it comes to the way a company reveals what they do, I would rather they say ONLY what the hard/software is about, and leave the users, press, and general public to try it out.

Lets say that Apple simply says: "Shipping this august, the New G5, a 64bit processor with significant technical advances, from 1.6 to 2 ghz supporting up to 8 gigs of ram." When it actually DOES come out, people would look at it realize it is VERY fast, and the word would spread quickly... all they did to themselves is damage their credibility...

... wait, what am I talking about, Apple people will eat it up... it's like a religion to them.

Comment

Actually saying that there is a opteron desktop is a stretch, There is currently no chipset that supports AGP which IMHO is key in a workstation, what there is is a sever in a desktop case. Via is working on a workstation chipset for the opteron and i am anxiously awaiting it to see what it can do. As far as the benchmarks I do think they took a lot of liberties and disabling sse and hyper threading is unnacceptable making the comparision Aplles and oranges so to speak. :P
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

what i was saying cpnichols is that im sooo not surprised to see the claims apple made. And everything you said goes twice for me

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

their "the 1st with a 64 bit desktop system" is juuust like cebas. a: sure its the 1st desktop, but intel and AMD have been running 64 bit chips for a while and b: its not even on the market yet. who knows, AMD might release a 64bit desktop chip tomorow and beat Mac, then id have a great laugh at mac's expence.

DMN: Now, you're saying it's the first 64-bit desktop machine. But isn't there an Opteron dual-processor machine? It shipped on June 4th. BOXX Technologies shipped it. It has an Opteron 244 in it.

Rubinstein: Uh...

Akrout: It's not a desktop.

DMN: That's a desktop unit.

Akrout: It depends on what you call a desktop, now. Theseā€¦ From a full desktop per se, this is the first one. I don't know how you really distinguish the other one as a desktop.

DMN: Well, it's a dual processor desktop machine, just like that one.

Akrout: It's not 64, then.

DMN: Yes, it's a 64-bit machine with two Opteron chips in it. It started shipping June 4th.

Akrout: That we'll double check, but in my mind, it wasn't

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Funny isn't it?

Apple just have a computer that is almost as fast as a PC and everybody goes crazy. There had been times when Mac was the world leading company for fast and userfrendly computers. But what went wrong?

Was it the high price?

Was it the extra charge? (when just wanted a cable for you printer they wanted 3 times more money)

Was it the arroganz? (Well some costumers like them)

Or the Quality of the OS? (Just turn out the mouse and the system frezz)

Or the Lies?

Yes guess it was that they are always lies....

robert
                I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

Wow, quite the active thread!
                  Good to see not everybody believes what they read and can think for themselves.
                  Very funny how upset people can become talking about computers, it's only a tool guys.

I'm not a Mac user myself, so I don't care one way or the other. Personally I would love Apple to come out with an advanced affordable system to give AMD and Intel a kick. Might see some serious competition then.

Da Elf:I found that part of the article very funny. "Uh...Its not a Desktop"

Comment

Working...
                  X