Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving updated max source files to a client ?? What to do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving updated max source files to a client ?? What to do ?

I have a fairly new client that I have recently done some work for. I was given a max file from a previous 3d artist and have spent a lot of time updating the lighting, textures etc.

Now the client wants the MAX source file. He says for backup....but I backup all my files anyway so that wouldnt be a problem. Should I send the updated verison, no questions asked ? I normally charge for source files but this is different as quite a bit of the original model was already created by someone else.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

I usually charge source files, but this is his... I would explain to him that I can not give away my recepie, and send him back the mesh with a grey material all over and no light. So he has the updated model, as requested.
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Yeah...i agree. You can't just give him a setup that he can just do what he wants with! I would do the same as thablanch says with the addition of stipulating that if he wants it, he'll have to pay for it. You may get a song and dance from them...but if it really is for back up purposes then they shouldn't care! Good luck though!
      -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Humh, isnt there a way to LOCK DOWN the scene? So that no1 except the 1 guy with password can access it change it view it etc etc?
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I'm not quite sure why they would need to backup your work?! Ditto to everyone above about other options. Maybe a password protect Zip (it's probably not that secure though) or similar. They can have the file to "backup" but if they need to do anything with it they'll have to give you a call to work on it again.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I think it's technically not possible.
            Do they have a Vray license, and other plugins you used in the scene?

They would also need all the (licenced) textures you used, etc.

When I client asks for a 3d file I just save out a dwg or 3ds and be done with it.
            The clients don't know what to do with the file anyway, so they are happy, as long as they believe they got what they wanted.
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Just say no.
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket
              ----------------------------------->
              http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment