Hard drive change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive change

I was curious if someone in the know could help me out with a hard drive change. I had my IT guy install a raid drive on my server, however, he had to change the hard drive letter.. I mapped the drive as before but now my proxies, maps…etc. are all messed up. When I open up a max file, I get several errors…..missing maps, proxies…etc. Is there a simple solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Scott.

I'm not exactly sure how it works with Raid drives but with a regular drive you can change the assigned drive letter in the disk Management console. Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open. Right click on the OLD partition that has the drive letter you want and reassign it to something else, then I think you have to restart. Repeat to get to the disk management console and then assign the new raid partition the old drive letter.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion; however, there must be something we are missing. For example, systems are being over hauled all the time, hard drives are being swapped out and added to the networks, especially in larger companies. There must be a way in Max to adapt to an ever changing environment. Otherwise, you could never change your hard drive letters or add to your network as needed.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

If you remapped to the new Raid array, then where is the problem? That should have fixed your problems?

Or did you map it to a different drive letter on your local computer? Something is definitely NOT right here.
        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
        Midwest Studios

Comment

if it's a fileserver, the problem is not the server's local drive letter, but the name of the network share...
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Marc…….I think you may be on to something. When the server was returned back to the office, I noticed the drive was not shared on the network even though all the settings indicated it was being shared. I reset the share settings and the drive is now visible on the network. The other odd thing is, when I re-mapped the drive for my workstation, I did not have the option to set up the drive name, the letter was available but not the name. It went to a default name and then I had to change the name after the fact. Maybe that is where the problem could be. I do not know if this has something to do with the raid system but I will talk to the guy who set up the drive. Thanks for the help….I can make the software sing and dance but when it comes to this kind of stuff, I am as dumb as it gets.

Thanks again.

Scott
            Last edited by Smalerbi; 06-10-2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

I do this a LOT, but I am confused about the name part. The name of what?

A mapped network drive just assigns a drive letter to a shared folder on a server. So what name is wrong?
              Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Well…..here is a new spin on things. The issue seems to be map related. When I open a project file, it will pick up the proxies, models…..etc. It will not pick up the maps related to the models. I have no idea why it will pick up the objects but not the materials related to the objects. When I go back through the material editor and re-assign the maps, it works just fine and the maps will be picked up again when I close and re-open the file. So it appears to be map related…….any ideas?

Thanks

Scott

Comment

Working...
                X