Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share you tips on rigging an escalator (the steps part)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share you tips on rigging an escalator (the steps part)

Hi all

I was thinking of doing this with a path deform, but then how would you handle the top and bottom of the "stairs" where it folds into each other?

Any tips?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

A little like tank tracks.. your path deform route is the way the tutorial goes.

http://www.freeitsolutions.com/3ds/v...l.aspx?id=1948
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Yes I know the "tank track" trick with path deform. Like I said, the problem comes in at the top and bottom of the escalator where the steps fold into each other. They don't go all the way around like a tank track, but flatten out (fold into each other) to result in a flat surface of about 3 or 4 steps at the top and the bottom. In the middle it is steps. I need a trick or way to rig it for where it folds into each other. It's been a long week and I just can't think right now how to do this
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

if its with the correct shapes and dimensions then its as simple as just a path constraint and not a deform to path

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

www.elfpro3d.com/Misc/clip0008.avi
          i suppose with some extra time i could make it work better in the areas under the floor where you cant see them. but hey. i did this in about 5 minutes

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

That is very cool!

Any chance you can post your scene?
            Pretty Please?
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

ill do one better. knowledge is better than a scene
              http://www.elfpro3d.com/Misc/clip0010.avi

i didnt add the floor plate at the bottom that also fits into the grooves but im sure you can figure that part out easily.

Comment

Thanks! That is even cooler than the 1st one!
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Why not buy http://www.cebasstation.com/index.ph...d=8&feature=18 or http://www.axyzdesign.com/axyz-desig...nescalator.php

Comment

My boss was already shocked when I asked to buy VRay. Boss was something like: "Why? You have max, isnt that the 3d program that does everything?"

Wasn't that AXYZ escalator included one time on the 3D World Mag disc?
                    Last edited by Morne; 18-10-2010, 05:04 AM.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Yeah it was, for the price of a backissue you can pick it up.

Comment

isnt it good to actually learn!!!! something even if its not perfect but gets the job done? its weird that i've tackled some problems without being an expert but did it in laymens terms

Comment

yes your trick will do the trick. I'll end up using your way. I was suprised about some of the basic modelling commands you used. Pretty awesome. I would model the whole thing in Autocad and then animate it in max. After watching that "tut", I'd do the whole thing in max
                          Thanks Again!
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

nice tip elf...
                            Originally posted by 3DMK
                            do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

Working...
                            X