Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy Cylinder over path (but also need path deform)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Cylinder over path (but also need path deform)

Hi all

I need to copy a cylinder that has 2 height segments over a path. That works perfect if I have it constrained to the path. The problem is it also needs to deform to the path.

To explain: If I only have 1 cylinder and add path deform modifier I can move it along the path with percentage and it nicely bends (because of 2 height segments) around the corners of the path. Perfect. But now I can't copy the cylinder along the path. Copying this cylinder results in another cylinder with path deform modifier.

So with the path constraint (not the pathdeform) I can copy very quickly the cylinder along the path but then the cylinder doesn't bend around the corners of the path (yes it follows the path but the hole thing rotates around the corner instead of 1 segment then the next bending around the corner.

So how can I combine path contraint and path deform kind of thing? Or is the only way by copying the pathdeform and then adjust percentage, copy pathdeform, adjust percentage. That just seems such a long way around.

Any thoughts or alternative method would be aprreciated. (I need to copy the cylinder around the complex path couple of hundred times by hand - well the midlle part of the cylinder (between the 2 height segments needs to line up to certain points on the path)
    Last edited by Morne; 21-10-2010, 11:48 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Anybody have and idea?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I would array the cylinder with the correct spacing (how ever many times you need it), then attach all and collapse to single mesh and then apply path deform to the one object
      chris
      www.arc-media.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjacks21 View Post
        I would array the cylinder with the correct spacing (how ever many times you need it), then attach all and collapse to single mesh and then apply path deform to the one object
        This is exactly what I would do also.
        MDI Digital
        moonjam

Comment

the problem is the spacing is different between each one. And to get the spacing I have to move it on the path to align it in correct position. Maybe I can set my center point (between each height segmen) to be the pivot. Then path constraint and copy it to correct center position. Then do as above by attaching and collapsing and then path deform. (well fist collapse all then attach and then collapse again and then path deform)
          what you guys think?
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

You can use RailClone for this:

1. Create the cylinder, align the pivot's X axis with the direction of the path.
            2. Create a RailClone object, add the cilinder to the Segments list
            3. Set Geometry->Default to "none" and Geometry->Corner Segment to "Cylinder01"
            4. Edit the spline, set the type of each vertex where you want place a cylinder to "Bezier Corner" (or "Corner")

I've attached a sample scene. It uses RailClone Lite, the free version of the plugin, which is limited to flat splines, although you can rotate the object in any axis (not only top view).

There are multiple parameters that you can adjust in RailClone (slicing, bevels, Start/End segments...), depending of the result that you need, but this is the idea. If you have any question, please ask me here or in the Itoo Software forum.
            Attached Files
            Carlos Quintero
            iToo Software
            www.itoosoft.com

Comment

When you say "flat splines" for the "lite version" you mean in line with the ground? Or you mean flat in any direction? So can I have a spline that is on a plane that is at an angle to the ground, (the spline is still straight)?
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I mean flat in any direction. You can create the spline in any view (top, front, left or bottom) and rotate it in any angle to the ground, but all vertices must be coplanar.

So lets say that RailClone Lite works with 2D splines, and RailClone Pro with 3D ones (as stairs, railings at different heights, convoluted pipes and so).
                Carlos Quintero
                iToo Software
                www.itoosoft.com

Comment

Working...
                X